27|| Guest

A/N: Here's chapter 27. Enjoy, people.

"Really? Again?" Iris scoffed, even though her heart felt like it was being ripped out of her chest by an invisible hand. "Isn't this getting a little old now?"

He shrugged and winked. "Gotta follow the money, right? Oh I'd stay down if I were you." He warned Eun-Woo, finger curling a little tighter around the trigger. "Or I might just use your sister as target practice."

Sister? Iris' gaze flicked between her friend and the man, then mentally facepalmed as she realised the similarities between the two. "At least let me get my information, then you can let her go."

"Iris!" Mia whispered, digging her fingers into Iris' shoulders as he voice became tinged with fear.

"I know you'll take her and run. Don't insult my intelligence, Rainbow."

"Aw, but you make it so easy."

He threw his head back and laughed, a deep and rich sound that reverberated through the empty alley and caused a few rats to scuttle pit of their hiding place. Iris despised the way her heartbeat quickened and a smile threatened to cross over her face.

"Mia," Iris said in a low tone. "Tell me who killed my mother and I'll save you."

Her gaze was cold. "No. Save mine and my brother's lives first, then we talk."

She shrugged, trying to assume a nonchalant gaze to hide her frantic thoughts. "Suit yourself."

Iris pulled out her gun and fired thrice in the general direction of Alex, shoving Mia into Eun-Woo's arms and diving for cover behind an overflowing dumpster.

Shots cracked through the air and Iris winced as a bullet clicked against the metal and grazed her cheek. She took a deep breath and returned fire, mentally counting down how many bullets she had left. From somewhere on her right, she heard more gunshots and a muffled shriek. Eun-Woo must have a gun too, then.

When there was a brief respite, Iris shouted. "Run!"

She pushed herself off the dumpster, the thundering of footsteps following closed behind. Her thighs burned and her lungs screamed for oxygen as she rounded a corner and screamed at the siblings to hurry up.

Alex was getting closer, half of his face concealed by shadows. But Iris could have sworn that, for a brief moment, he'd looked pained.

"Go, go, go!" Iris shoved them around a corner and stopped. Dead end. Shit.

Iris spun around, trying to stay calm over Mia's frantic worrying. She slammed her fists against the brick wall, wishing it would cave beneath her fists as the footsteps got louder and louder. She checked her bullet chamber. Only one left. It would have to be one hell of a shot.

Can I do it? Can I really kill him?

"Give it up, Rainbow!" Alex called, his voice bouncing across the walls and tinged with desperation. "Please... you should walk away now. Just run. Before you— ack!"

There was a sound of flesh hitting flesh and then a piercing scream. Iris pushed Mia and Eun-Woo down and as far out of sight as possible, glancing around the corner with wide eyes.

"Hey Iris."

Her head snapped up and she scowled to hide the immense relief. "What're you two doing here? I thought I told you to stay away!"

Elijah shrugged and held up a brown bag. "We wanted donuts and the GPS sent us here."

"Did it now?" Iris hissed, glaring at them. She rolled her eyes and sighed. "But like, thanks or whatever. Where's Al- the guy chasing us?"

"Here!" Julian called, dragging a barely conscious Alex and grinning as his head clobbered against the grey stone. "Iris, isn't this the guy who was harassing you earlier?"

"The one and the same." Iris bent down and fisted Alex's shirt, turning his head to inspect the bruises and feeling a twisted sense of sadness and happiness. "He's not dead. Excellent. Elijah, give me your ugly sweater."

He did so and Iris neatly tossed it in the dumpster.

Elijah's eyes widened and he spluttered, "Hey! What the hell? Why did you do that?"

"I didn't want us to get jumped by a criminal and also my eyes were starting to bleed. Julian, can you take Alex's other arm and help me carry him? Yes, like that. And Elijah, can you order a taxi for all of us to go home?"

"Even them?" He pointed back at the terrified and confused siblings.

"Yep. Mia and I have a lot to discuss."

"Why are you taking that boy with you?" Eun-Woo asked with a derisive jerk of his head.

"I have a few questions for him." Iris's eyes blazed with fury as she pulled his head back by his hair. "And I know exactly how to make him talk."

**

The doorbell rang and Lisa threw it open, her elation and scoldings for her children dying on her tongue when she saw them very bedraggled and bruised with two more hovering near the back and an unconscious boy between them.

"Hey Ma." Julian chuckled with an awkward wave. "I know we're a bit late and this is short notice, but can we have a sleepover and, uh, three guest rooms?"

She sighed and slumped against the doorframe. "Not this again. Come in, children. I'll make you some hot chocolate and a medical kit."

*************

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)