2|| Hazard

A/N: Here's chapter 2. Enjoy, people.

When Elijah was called to his father's office, he started a mental list on all things he could possibly have done wrong.

Did Dad finally figure out about the party I threw five years ago when he went away? He swallowed the dryness squeezing his throat, knocking on the office door.

"Come in!" was the crisp reply.

Elijah took a deep breath and opened the door, "Hey, Dad. You called?"

A warm smile crinkled the corners of David's blue eyes, "Elijah! Cancel any appointments you have today."

"What? Why?"

David's eyes brightened and his smile widened, "Your sister is coming home today."

A breath caught in Elijah's throat. His legs buckling, he clutched on the door frame, "Are you... are you serious?"

"I don't joke, Eli. You should know that by now."

"Dad, that's not- never mind. Why is Iris coming back? What happened to...to Elise?" A dull ache spread across his chest at his mother's name.

"Unfortunately, she passed away this morning," Despite his words, David didn't look particularly upset.

'My mother is dead.'

The thought didn't evoke any particularly strong feelings, so he allowed it to float away like a balloon.

"When will I be picking her up?" Elijah asked, his heart fluttering in excitement. After nine years he would finally see his little sister again!

"I've messaged you the name of her school. You should go at lunchtime, and make sure to stop by her home so she can get all her things."

"Okay... Dad, I'm really excited."

"So am I, Lai, so am I."

***

"Iris?"

She decided to play dumb, "Iris who?"

Elijah gave her a flat look- one he nearly always wore when they were young. It comprised of pursed lips, a slight narrowing of the eyes and a judgemental stare that never lasted long. Something ached in Iris's chest and she fought hard to stop the tears from welling in her eyes.

"Ah! Mr. West-Brown," Lakely greeted with a smile, but the tremors in her voice betrayed her fear, "I assume you are here to pick up Iris?"

"Yes. Where do I sign her out?" Elijah was emotionless, as though he was merely picking up a delivery rather than his sister.

"N-no need!" Lakely- usually a hard stickler for the rules- waved her hand, "I've already removed Iris from the system. From now on, she is no longer a pupil at this school. Goodbye Iris, it was a pleasure to have you here."

I was only here for four months. Iris raised a brow, but decided to settle on a tight smile.

"Come on Iris," Elijah said stiffly, "I've parked the car out front."

                        A couple of months ago, Iris was exploring a quarry; she drifted too far from her family and found a small cave tucked away on the rockface. Fuelled with the teenage desire to rebel and explore, Iris delved deep inside, until the light at the end was nothing more than a mere speck.

Unfortunately, she had wandered too deep, and was unable to find her way back out. Iris had screamed herself hoarse, tears streaming down her face as she blindly grappled for the exit. She ran her fingers across the bumpy cave wall, desperately trying to find her way back.