Killi x Reader

A/N: Request by kirvine234, written by ladyofsilverfountain, hope you enjoy this! Apologies it's taken me a little while to post this but Lady finished writing it a while ago, completely forgot my password and all that jazz but hey! We got there in the end, enjoy!

You are waiting with the Dwarves at the Green Dragon, an inn in the Shire that stands near the road that you were all supposed to be on by now, but the wizard, Gandalf, insists that everyone waits for their "burglar" to join. However, as moments go by, it seems increasingly impossible that this person will show up. You are seated at some chairs just outside the round-door of the building with Kili and Fili, your shoulders become heavier with boredom as you wait for what has seemed like forever. You look eagerly ahead at the road in hopes that the thrill of traveling will keep you from this boredom, but you realize that there is no journey without this "burglar" and your spirits slump back down.

Kili and Fili look just as bored as you are. Their eyes are low and trailing around, and Kili bounces his leg up and down impatiently. You watch him for a while, amused by his adorable attempt to scowl. Out of everyone in the company, you know that he is the most fun and so you can't stand to see him die of boredom with you. Suddenly, a song that you know very well bubbles up into your mind. It's a beautiful song about change and love, and it might just be long enough to pass the time. You start to hum it, making sure that you have the tune right before you start to sing aloud. Your sound catches the young, dark-haired Dwarf's attention, his handsome, brown eyes narrowing at you with clear interest. A cheeky smile promptly grows and he turns completely towards you in his seat, distracting you from your humming.

"What's that?" Kili asks.

You tell him it's a song from "your world", but he doesn't seem to understand. Maybe he just simply doesn't care...maybe he's just impressed with your voice...maybe he'll even sing with you. You've never heard him sing before; given the short time that you've known him, you are under the impression that he doesn't sing very often. You overheard the others sing as you rode your ponies through the Hobbit-village, but Kili stayed quiet. He's probably too shy, which is cute...but you are confident that perhaps you can change this. So, you tell him the lyrics of the song.

Tale as old as time

True as it can be

Barely even friends

Then somebody bends

Unexpectedly

Just a little change

Small to say the least

Both a little scared

Neither one prepared

Beauty and the Beast

Ever just the same

Ever a surprise

Ever as before

And ever just as sure

As the sun will rise

Tale as old as time,

Tune as old as song,

Bitter-sweet and strange

Finding you can change

Learning you were wrong

Certain as the sun

Rising in the east

Tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme

Beauty and the Beast

Tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme

Beauty and the Beast

As you tell him each word, trying not to sing it, you notice that he's simply staring at you, almost like he's not paying attention. When you finish reciting the song, you ask.

"Do you want me to write it down?"

Kili shakes his head lightly and makes his brown hair shake along with it, it almost makes you laugh. "Nah," he says, "I've got a good memory," he assures you, adding a playful wink with his cheeky smile.

You don't ask him to sing with you, you don't want to pressure him. There's a chance that he won't sing at all, but you're just glad that he took interest in something you liked. Just then, your boredom becomes unbearable. You can feel it in your chest now, weighing you down. You look back toward the road and you start to sing. You put both your love of the song and the sheer amount of your boredom into an impressive beginning of the song. You close your eyes and let your heart sing blissfully, guiding through the words perfectly.

Suddenly, a voice joins you.

...Then somebody bends

Unexpectedly...

You open your eyes, but dare not stop singing. You now see Kili singing with you, his voice a rich tenor that pairs with your voice in an eloquent harmony. Your breath staggers in both surprise and nervousness, especially since you can now feel everyone else's eyes on you. You continue to sing, not wanting to ruin this moment between you and Kili. After each verse, more eyes move towards Kili. The older Dwarves who had been singing earlier raise their brows and widen their eyes, impressed to see Kili sing such an elegant song with the newcomer. Even his brother, Fili, smiles warmly and proudly as he watches his brother sing this new song. As your duet progresses through the last two stanzas, you find that this harmony that you and Kili have created has soothed your heart and you start to feel grateful that Kili admires you enough to sing with you without any hesitation. You wonder if this is the start of something more.

When the song ends, there is silence. Kili smiles at you and you smile back at him.

"I like that," he says, "Do you know any other songs?"

Your cheeks become warm with blush, you instinctively brush your hair behind your ear and nod, "I do," you answer, the only words you can manage to push out as you look into his eyes bashfully.

"I'd love to hear them, too," Kili comments, his eyes seemingly piercing through you as speaks.

Your moment, however, is abruptly cut off when Thorin announces that with, or without, this burglar, they will pack up and leave. Just as he says this, Gandalf returns to the group with a Hobbit at his side, declaring that the burglar has agreed to join your journey to the Lonely Mountain.

End.