Sam x You

Admin note: Hi there fellow Tolkienite's! Thank you so much for 11k reads!! Long time no post- life has been real hectic these last few months- being stuck inside and unable to travel and get outside. I hope you've all been keeping safe this year, I know many people around the world have been effected by the pandemic, and I often think of how people are coping. It's just been really crazy. Sending all my prayers out for those who need it, you got this!

Here is a little fluff one-shot requested by golden-andromeda I hope you enjoy it love! x

It had been a few hours since you had left the shire with Sam, bags packed to the tip-top with pans clanging on your back, the sun was high in the heat had begun to bore down over the golden fields as you continued to walk along the path. 

Sam, of course, had offered to take your bags himself. You, had politely declined, wanting to share the load- as he put it. It had taken some reassurance as the hobbit was persistent with wanting to check on you and make sure you were ok, but after a while he accepted that you could indeed carry your own. 

"I don't know what kind o' quest you and Master Baggins embarked on, Samwise Gamgee, but you keep lookin' back over your shoulder. Did ya' find trouble on the other side of the Bree did ya?" You asked with a small smile, Sam huffed and fiddled with the shoulder straps of his pack as the contents clanged. 

"Well Miss (y/l/n), we did run into a bit of trouble, not too much though. Nothin' me and Mr. Frodo couldn't handle. I know hobbits don't like adventures so... we all agreed not to talk about it whilst at home." He continued, finding a long branch on the ground and smiling as he picked it up and continued to walk with it in his palm. "This here reminds me of my old walking pal, carried one we did, the both of us- Mr. Frodo and I." 

You laughed lightly and continued after him, "A great big old stick like that? What on earth for?" 

"Well because of things you might meet along the rode, shady folk, Orcs- ... the list is endless really." He decided to stop when seeing the rather confused look on your face, not wanting to frighten you. 

"What on earth is an Orc?"  

Too late. 

Sam seemed to think about the answer for a while, and you didn't bother to push for the explanation, it clearly gave the hobbit distress. "I'm sorry Mr. Gamgee, I can see you don't want to talk about it, I beg your pardon." 

"Oh no, it's quiet alright Miss (y/n), I just haven't really spoken about this to-" He glanced toward you with a slight tilt to his head, "-well with someone who..." 

"Who... what?" You eyed him a little more concerned now, a brow raised inquisitively, stopping in your tracks.

His eyes darted back as you stopped, before meeting yours once more, his shoulders tensed as he thought about what to say. "You aren't like the other 'obits Miss (y/n), you get excited about the world, I see the way you look at my books and swords." He smiled gently, "Don't be afraid of it, it's good to want to know more, to know what's out there." 

You shift a little uncomfortably, "You're a lot bolder than I remember, Mr Gamgee." Your tone a little quieter. "But- you're right, I 'ave been looking at your adventures, listenin' to the stories told down at the Inn."

Sam's smile brightened then, "I knew it!" 

Returning the smile, you continue, "I heard you fought in the white city, is that true?" 

"It sure is, the city itself wasn't so 'til King Aragorn was crowned, we 'elped clean it up a bit before the ceremony though." He explained, "What else 'ave you heard?" 

You both continued to walk along the path as you explained all the tales you had overheard from various travellers whilst working at the Inn, of dark creatures and new friends of the shire, Sam seemed proud to retell and correct the tales from his own point of view. You laughed and gasped at the stories, soon enough finding yourselves by the lake Sam had told you about. 

It was a beautiful as he had described, possibly even more so, you smiled toward him with a new found respect and helped him set up camp. "I can't believe you did all of that Sam... it sounds so wonderous." 

The smell of cooking food rose from the pots over the warm fire, the fireflies hovered over the lilies in the lake as frogs croaked and crickets sang, the wind gentle and warm. "It was, but frightening too... we lost some good friends, many fell in the battles we witnessed." 

As Sam continued to cook, you watched him, many questions roaming through your mind. "Do you miss him?" 

You knew you'd hit home when you saw Sam pause for a moment, "Yes." He answered pretty quickly, "I miss Mr. Frodo everyday." He let out a sigh and glanced toward you with a sad smile. "He was my best friend." His eyes slowly lowered, clearly remembering things that he could never explain or describe to anyone but Frodo. "A lot of my adventure was spent with Mr. Frodo, it's hard... when you don't have anyone around who really understands." 

Blinking, you then moved logs to sit beside him, "You got me." You said hoping to perk up his spirits, "I may not be as courageous as you or Mr. Frodo, nor know how to weld a sword or bow, but I got a shoulder you can lean on." You gave him a small smile and nudge. 

He laughed gently then, "Well, you are more courageous than most hobbits I know Miss (y/n)." The pot then started to tremble and Sam leaned forward, stirring the contents within. "Thank you for joining me."