Chapter 8: Sokka's Late Morning

When Sokka woke up Zuko was already gone. He got out of bed and did his morning stretches, focusing on his neck since it had been bothering him since they arrived. He walked over to his desk and picked up a note written in the sloppiest handwriting he had ever seen.

"Sorry to leave you but I have a busy day. Let the chef know when you are ready for breakfast, I told him to make you whatever you ask for. – Zuko"

Sokka folded the note and left it on the desk before changing and heading to Katara's room. They had only been there a day but he was already starting to form a mental map of the palace, one he was sure would be quite detailed after he took up Zuko on his offer to give him a personal tour.

He got to her room right as she was getting back. She raised an eyebrow and said, "Nice to see you sir sleeps a lot. You missed breakfast and I just got back from lunch."

Sokka's mouth dropped and he shouted, "Lunch!?!?" How could he have missed breakfast and lunch? He would have to make up for it with an even larger dinner tonight.

Katara was dressed up like she was going somewhere which prompted Sokka to ask, "Got a hot date with a fire nation boy?" to which she rolled her eyes. "No as a matter of fact I am going to a spa for a relaxing day of pampering and luxury courtesy of the fire lord."

He couldn't help but laugh at her version of relaxing. He would much rather lounge at the beach or practice sparring for fun. "Have fun getting your face covered in mud and getting your toe fungus cleaned."

"I will enjoy getting mud slathered all over me. I think you would love it if you gave it a try," she said jokingly.

"Maybe I will give it a try someday," he said feigning offense to which she laughed and told him goodbye. Great, the only other person he knew in the whole palace was going to be gone the whole day at a spa. To make up for it he went to the kitchen where the staff were cleaning up from serving lunch.

He saw the head chef and squeezed through a few people to get to him. "Uh excuse me," he said struggling to be heard over the clanging of pots and pans, "I was wondering if I would be able to get some breakfast?"

The chef was a tough looking man with long black hair tightly braided with lightning bolts shaved into the sides of his head. He glared at Sokka until he realized who he was and his mean demeanor fell away, replaced by one of politeness and respect.

"Of course, anything for a guest of the fire lord," he said and bowed slightly, "what could I have the honor to cook for you today?"

Sokka wasn't used to such treatment but he was starting to think he could get used to it. "I'd like a pork chop, eggs and lots of bacon on the side."

While he waited he walked around the palace making mental notes of how barren the place was. It felt like no one lived there and Sokka thought it was in need of some decorating to make it feel more like a home. A servant came to let him know his meal was ready and he thanked her. He took in the hall in its entirety before heading back for what he was sure would be one of the best breakfasts of his life.

WRITERS NOTE: I know this chapter was fairly short and uneventful, but the next few chapters should make up for it.