Chapter 73: Like a Normal Couple

"You know, for all our time together we haven't done many things couples normally do," Sokka said as he took a seat in a beaten-up leather armchair near the wheel of the boat.

"What do you mean?" Zuko asked, "I've taken you on a few dates, and we live in the same palace."

"How charming," Sokka said and playfully rolled his eyes. "The first date wasn't a real date, and the second one we got attacked by a psychotic chef and his hypnotized staff."

Sokka had a point. With all the crazy things that happened in their daily lives it was easy to forget how much he was making Sokka sacrifice day to day.

"It's never too late to start acting more like a couple," Zuko said. Before Sokka could say anything, the fire bender moved in and kissed Sokka while simultaneously sitting on his boyfriend's lap as their lips danced against one another. Sokka wrapped his arms around Zuko, but the firebender gently pulled his lips away from Sokka's.

Sokka was blushing like a little kid who had accidently brushed up against their crush. Zuko knew he wasn't expecting him to do something like that, and it gave him pride to make Sokka flustered.

The water tribe boy's arms were still wrapped around Zuko's waist, and the firebender adjusted how he was sitting on his boyfriend's lap to be more comfortable.

"I expected you to have a bonier butt," Sokka responded after he regained his composure.

"Oh yeah?" Zuko asked, not wanting to let his boyfriend insult him so easily, "I expected your legs to have more muscle, all I feel is fat."

"Hey!" Sokka said and started tickling Zuko all over. Zuko held on tighter to Sokka and tried to fight back, but he ended up falling off Sokka's lap and taking his boyfriend down with him.

They wrestled across the floor of the small cabin, bumping into the walls a few times. When the playful fighting stopped Sokka was on top of Zuko, pinning him down in a similar way to how he had after they had jumped out of general Lao's window on ember island. Zuko was reminded once more of Sokka's mesmerizing eyes, a blue more entrancing than that of the sky.

"The world could be ending around us," Sokka said, "but as long as I'm with you I don't think I'd notice."

"You can be kind of romantic sometimes," Zuko replied, cherishing the moment without missing an opportunity to tease him.

"I'm romantic all the time," Sokka said and pulled out a rose from somewhere behind him. It was Zuko's turn to feel a sudden rush of emotions.

"When did you get a rose?" Zuko asked, shyly taking the rose from his boyfriend's hand.

"I might have gotten it while I was out buying us food," Sokka said casually, "I thought it would be a nice gift for you after our first dinner alone in forever, but someone had to ruin it and send us back to the Fire Nation."

Zuko's heart sank in his chest, but Sokka was quick to stop it in its tracks by kissing him passionately. No one else could make Zuko feel such a whirlwind of emotions.

One moment he was filled with fear thinking about his nation, the next he was enamored by Sokka's beauty, then he became sad once more because he had taken stability and certainty away from the man he loved. Despite his momentary sadness he was now filled with a warmth that he had come to associate with his love for Sokka. There was something indescribable about the way this kiss made him feel.