Chapter 61: Keeping Secrets

Zuko carefully rolled up the scroll he had signed and handed it to his advisor who quickly slid it into a secure wooden tube and sealed it. The scrawny man wearing an oversized royal robe quickly exited the room, and Zuko fought the urge to sink down in his chair and lose his composure.

There was no going back now, and even though it was the right decision to make, he was terrified of what was to come when the world found out. Some would rejoice at the news, while others would demand for the decision to be reversed and for him to apologize for his actions.

Rather than break down, he lowered the flames in front of his throne and walked down the steps and out of the throne room. The further he got from the room, the more he realized the world was the same place it was before he had put quill to parchment. The way people viewed him might change, but the birds in the sky, the turtle ducks in the pond and the clouds in the sky would stay just the same.

He walked into his and Sokka's room and found the man he loved more than anything in the world sitting by the window looking out on the sprawling city below.

Zuko had entered quietly enough that the daydreaming water tribe boy hadn't noticed, and he used this as his chance to sneak up behind him and gently wrap his arms around Sokka from behind the chair.

Sokka set his right hand on Zuko's arm and didn't say a word. Zuko closed his eyes and focused hard on taking in the way Sokka felt, the way his breath kept to the same rhythm, and the way he wished they could stay like this until the end of time.

"We haven't been on a date in so long," Zuko said warmly, not rushing to say the words.

"I don't think we have ever officially been on a date," Sokka said, "unless you count that time you asked a thief for a good place to eat."

Zuko squeezed him tighter for making fun of his successful method of finding a good place to eat before letting go. Sokka stood up slowly and took one last look out the window. He turned to face Zuko and his gorgeous face and piercing blue eyes took the firebender's breath away.

"Somehow I always forgot how beautiful you are," Zuko said, smiling as he stared into eyes the most beautiful shade of blue, a blue he was sure even the sea was envious of.

"Then you'll always need to keep me around so you can remember," Sokka said and smirked. The two laughed and ruined the moment, but Zuko loved Sokka's personality just as much as he loved his looks, so he didn't mind.

Sokka got closer to him, gently placing his hands around Zuko's face and kissing him lightly on the lips, letting an extra moment pass before letting their lips part but not letting his hands fall from the firebender's face.

"Are you sure you want to go out in public? We can't be sure someone won't notice us," Sokka said, his voice empathetic and caring rather than scared or sad.

"I'm tired of hiding Sokka," Zuko said and held Sokka's hand against his scarred cheek, "you and I deserve our happiness just as much as anyone else, and my fear has gotten in the way of that for too long."

"I'm happy staying here with you and having dinner in bed," Sokka said. Zuko knew he could be so much happier if they could do the things normal couples did, and he was finally brave enough to start making up for lost time.

"I was thinking we could go to a new southern water tribe restaurant that opened near the bay," Zuko said, steering the conversation away from maintaining the status quo and towards the future he hoped they would finally be able to experience.

"How have I not heard about it yet?" Sokka asked, suspicion written all over his face.

"Because I made sure none of the palace staff told you so I could surprise you with it," Zuko said and smiled, proud his staff had obeyed him and kept their mouths shut.

"I'm being oppressed by my own boyfriend," Sokka playfully whined, making Zuko smirk and a brightness take hold in his eyes.

"I'm ready to end your oppression whenever you are," Zuko said jokingly. Although he made a mental note not to hide anything else from Sokka in the future.

"I've been ready to end yours," Sokka said, his tone and facial expression indicating he wasn't just talking about trying out a restaurant he had been kept from knowing about.

Zuko's eyes went wide and Sokka smiled before grabbing his hand and leading him out of their bedroom and towards the front door. The firebender wondered if Sokka's innuendos would ever stop making him flustered, but part of him hoped they never would.