(Prologue) A Choice With No Regrets

"More speed, Amaya. Focus." I heard Flagon instructing me as I landed at one of the platforms of the training grounds. I just rolled my eyes and kept going with my training. I used my 3DMG faster as I dodged more walls and other obstacles in my way trying to break my previous record. Then as my gear hooked on the next wall, I ran out of gas and swung almost hitting the wall but luckily I hit it with my feet instead.

"Damn it, not again." I said in frustration. This keeps happening everytime. I just jumped back down to the ground and walked over to where Flagon is and sat down on the bench.

"Well?" I asked which he already knew obviously. "Not even close to your last record." He replied. I groaned.

"I told you that was just luck that happened that day."

"Uh-huh"

I stood up and asked, "When's dad heading back anyways?"

"They should be back by now. It still pisses me off that they're recruiting some idiots from the Underground." He said with a hint of anger.

"Wait. The Underground?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Yeah, why?" I was about to respond but I decided not to so I closed my mouth and shrugged. I bid my goodbye to the Section Commander and went back to my room.

I placed my gear on the table and grabbed my casual attire. After the shower, I wore my clothes

and headed to the mess hall to grab a quick dinner before I head back to bed and sleep

"Aya!" I heard someone call me out and I searched for the voice around the crowd and saw Emma and the rest of my friends waving for me to come sit with them. I waved back and approached the table and sat.

We just chatted everything about our day and shared some jokes and Leo keeps flirting at Emma while Emma's brother, Karl, tries to fight him. We just laughed at them.

"So Aya, Section Commander Flagon mentioned something about the Underground City and you." Leo said. I looked over at him and said, "What? I just got curious."

"Uh-huh, be honest with us... What made you get interested with that part of Wall Sina?"  Karl asked. I silently drunk my water, pretending not to hear them. I looked up from my cup and saw them staring at me, waiting for my response.

I sighed and placed my cup down.

"I just remembered meeting someone from there. But that was a long time ago. I don't think I can recall stuff from before." I said quickly as I fixed my plate and was about to leave to call it a day.

"No no no. You young lady will be staying and talk more about this person."

"Is it a guy?"

"Oohhh Aya meeting a guy from before."

"Quit it Emma, let Aya rest she's been training more than us."

"All I can say is that it's been a long time since I last saw him. Trust me." I said, interrupting their banter about the person I knew from before. They responded with Alrights and okays.

"Look I really need to call it a day." I said as I stood up.

"You said it... Candidate for Squad Captain." Karl teased. I just shook my head and laughed a little. I just waved good bye at them and went back to my room.

As I was preparing my uniform for tomorrow and getting some tools to check on my gear, a knock came at my door. I paused what I was doing and opened my door to see my dad who just came back from his mission.

"Amaya."

"Hey dad." I greeted and gave him a hug which he returned. "Welcome back home." I said as I let go of the hug. He smiled and placed a hand on my head like he always does.

"How was the mission?" I asked as I let him in and closed the door.

"We brought some recruits from the Underground." He simply said. I stopped folding my clothes and looked at him if he was telling the truth. His seriousness gave it away that he is telling the truth.

"Oh." Was all I could say as I continued preparing my stuff for tomorrow. I placed my uniform on top of the dresser and went to my desk to inspect my gear.

"How did the others take it?" I asked. Knowing that the reason dad took 3 recruits from there was for one, they took the other 3DMGs. And from what I've heard they were able to master using it without formal training.

"You already know." He said as he sat on my bed while he refolded my shirt that was a bit messy. I hummed in response. "That's why Flagon was pissed after my training."

"How was your training?"

"I still can't top my record from before. That's why I'm checking my gear if something went wrong." I said as I was tinkering with my gear. Then there was silence for a few seconds until dad spoke again.

"You know what day it is tomorrow?"

I nodded in response. It was mom's birthday and we planned on going to her grave like we always did. There were a few times that we never did due to my trainings and whenever either or both dad and I are in missions outside of the wall.

"I know dad. Same time, right?" I asked and he nodded in response.

"When was the last time we ever had a father-daughter time?"

"Been a long time dad." I said as I closed and cleared up my desk after fixing a few damages of the gear. We chatted a bit longer about our days and such. I think it was an hour or two that passed and dad was ready to head to his room.

"Good night, kiddo." Dad said as he hugged me for the last time.

"Night, dad." I said as he, again, placed his hand on my head. "Don't forget, the commander will call everyone out for an announcement." He reminded, I nodded then he left.

I closed my door, turned off the lights and laid on my bed.

'Why does my gut tell me that I may know who one of the recruits will be?' I thought to myself as I stared at the ceiling. I turned to my left and closed my eyes and fell asleep.

*dream*

At first I could only see light which then slowly cleared into beautiful waters with the sun just about to set. I then saw a girl, kneeling by the shore and holding something. I slowly approached her and saw that she was holding a bracelet. I tried to get closer but then someone called me out.

'Amaya' I heard a voice from somewhere. I looked around and when I turned to the girl, she was gone.

'Amaya'

"Who's there? Who are you?" I asked.

'Soon, My child.'

Then the dream faded, making the rest of my sleep dreamless.