Chapter 6 - Thoughts, Plans, Rest

Amaya's POV

The day went by quicker as I finished writing my letter for Jacob. About Uncle Regi, about the family's history book, and how everything is going on here on my part. As I did one last reading of my letter, I stared off and had a lot of thoughts in mind now. especially that very thought...

What could be the secrets of my family?

I looked back at the letter, signed my initials at the bottom, folded it, and placed the letter in another envelope, wrote Jacob's name at the back and sealed the letter. I sighed as I took one last look at the sealed letter and placed it on my table. I leaned on the back rest as I stretched my arms. A lot of thoughts came running in again recalling about the history book of our family that Jacob found. I should probably ask dad about it too, I tried looking for anything mentioning about the family in mom's journal, to my luck there wasn't a single one other than Uncle Regi's name and Jacob's.

Uncle Regi...

One of the only people who will remind me of mom. I hope he holds on a bit longer, until I find out about... everything.

I sighed and thought of heading out to check on the others since I've been in the office for a bit too long. As I stood and took the letter with me, a knock came at my door.

"Come in." I said to the person. The door opens and reveals Eren.

"Aya-san, Captain Levi's asking for you. It's also dinner time." He informed me and I nodded with a small and tired smile.

"Thanks Eren." I said as I fixed my chair back to the table properly and approached the door. Eren moved away from the door for me to pass and I closed it behind us.

"So... How's your stay with us?" I asked as we walked our way to the mess hall. He was a bit surprised but then sighed and said, "So far, it's been okay."

I hummed and noticed something was troubling him. Being his older sister, I asked him out of concern.

"You seem to be having a lot in mind. Penny for your thoughts?"

He looked over to me as I kept my gaze forward. He was hesitant at first but then spoke anyways, "Petra-san mentioned something about Captain Levi a-and you." Now I was surprised at this.

At least she didn't tell the whole story...

"And you're curious about that story?" I asked. He nodded once and lowered his gaze to avoid mine. I sighed at this and stopped walking though we were a few feet away from the mess hall's doors. I pulled his arm and let him face me.

"You know, it's okay to ask me about it if you're scared of asking the Captain over here." I said with a caring tone and referring to our stoic captain. He was curious about it and I don't blame him for it. He looked to me (and may I note I'm a few inches shorter than him) and his eyes gave it away that he wants me to tell him. "I-if it's okay with you, Aya-san..."

I was silent for a few seconds then nodded. "I'll tell you, but in another time, kid. We're here already." I said as I pointed at the door to the mess hall. He nods repeatedly and I just smiled at his actions as I ruffled his hair. I gestured for him to come along as I walked all the way to the door and entered.

The sound of a teacup being placed on its saucer can be heard as I approached the table where the rest of the squad is sitting. Eren sat at the other end, opposite to Levi. I sat at Levi's right. Since the Special Ops grew and has my squad mixed within we added a few extra chairs, having Leo sitting opposite to where I am, Karl beside Eren, Emma between Gunther and Eld, and Hans between Oluo and Petra.