CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Everything was suddenly nothing

Everything was suddenly nothing. Until she saw Noelle, in her white prom dress, in the empty parking lot they always went to. Carly was in her suit, one she only dreamt of. Now that she thought about it, this felt familiar. It was a dream Carly once had. Her favorite one and she remembered it all. Noelle had skipped prom and decided to hang out with Carly instead. She had been in a beautiful silk white dress and it made her the hottest thing Carly had ever put her eyes on. She was angelic. Beyond beautiful. 

"You look nice," Noelle said, grabbing onto Carly's hand as they started to slow dance. Carly was amazed and speechless. This felt more real than the dream. 

"You- you... Are you real?!" Carly was asking, totally confused at what was going on.

Noelle kept a gentle face and smiled softly. "Not exactly, I'm sort of made out of your imagination. To ignore the fact you're on the bridge of death," Noelle laughed but Carly started to realize what was going on. Noelle's smile dropped and she looked at Carly, worried. They continued to sway and Noelle's dress was swinging side to side. "You have to wake up y'know. It's not time for this yet. You have to stay alive and well. Live on, without me and continue. Aidan has already won, couldn't you hear it outside the bathroom?" Noelle spoke softly as they danced in the moonlight. Carly started to cry, tears tickling her chin. 

Noelle wiped the tears away with her gentle, perfect hands. She cuffed Carly's face in her hands and gave her an empathetic look as Carly leaned her face into her palm. She kissed her own name tattooed on Noelle's skin and Noelle pulled her close for a hug. Carly's face fit perfectly into the nook of Noelle's neck. "I don't want to leave you, I want to stay like this, even if it means I'm already dead. I can't let you go, not again!" Carly cried and put her arms around Noelle, squeezing her tight. 

Noelle ringed her fingers through Carly's hair, resting her head onto her's. "I know..." Noelle sighed and listened to the sound of Carly's cries. "But other people need you, your sister would be a wreck without you. You're the only family she has left. You need to be there for her, at least." 

Carly gripped onto Noelle's dress with a handful of the fabric in each hand. "But what about you! I want to kiss you and hug you and cuddle you and touch you and do all of the things we do together and I want to do them all again. I want to go back and prevent all of this from happening! I want to feel my heart race when we're together again, I want to kiss you 100 times more and keep you to myself. This isn't fair! We never did anything to deserve this!" Carly was yelling and Noelle just continued to smooth her hand over Carly's head. "We deserved to be happy! You deserved everything and more! I hate Aidan, I wish he was never alive or that he would just drop dead! THIS ISN'T FAIR!" Carly was so loud but she didn't care. Everything she was saying was the truth. 

Noelle pushed Carly's face away from her shoulder and held her face in both her hands. Carly's face was all red and her eyes filled with tears and her nose was snotty and she kept sniffling. She was barely able to breathe. Noelle gave a soft mother-like smile. Like everything was okay and that they would be okay. She looked heavenly. Her lips were a dark shade of red and Carly wanted to kiss them over and over again. She didn't care that she was all snotty. But most of all, she wanted to live to see Noelle's face again. Noelle was a fighter, she couldn't be dead, if she was, she'd really be here with Carly. Ready to cross. Noelle traced Carly's cheekbone with her thumbs, just smiling on. 

Noelle started to look at something behind Carly. Carly noticed and turned around. 

It was Rowan's soulmate. Reaching out to her. 

"It's time to go back!" They yelled out. Carly looked from them to Noelle. Noelle softly kissed the tip of Carly's nose and let go. 

"Go, go back. Keep on living, for me. Okay? We'll meet again someday. And you'll feel all of this again. And Aidan won't be in the way," Noelle smiled and a single tear fell down her cheek. "Thank you, for finally making me smile," Noelle said, as Carly hugged her once again. Pulling her close, like it was the last time they'd ever touch. Which had a chance of being true. Carly back away, seeing the image of Noelle getting smaller and smaller. Carly knew that Noelle was the best thing to ever happen to her. She knew that she had truly, met and angel. 

Carly turned to Rowan's soulmate who was still holding out a hand. She grasped on, being pulled in slow motion. She was pulled forward and fell into the dead person's arms. Soon, they started to fade and Carly was falling. Stomach first into emptiness. 

This wasn't the end for her, she had to keep living. Even if she didn't want to, Noelle told her too. Noelle would want her too. Rowan would want her too. She would do it, even if it was just for them, just for another moment. She had to. She just had to.

For herself, as well. 

Authors note <3

<3

939 words