xx. words fall short

chapter twenty - act one
WORDS FALL SHORT

chapter twenty - act oneWORDS FALL SHORT

──────────

        A single droplet of sweat creeps down the skin upon Eden's forehead. Within the depths of her stomach, her instincts churn, alerting her that something was off. The hairs upon the back of her neck stand at alert, though for what exact reason, she knew not - though she had her suspicions. After the stand-off within the control room, the pre-existing tension among the gang of bounty hunters had grown only stronger, like a flower of hatred, it's petals blossoming with a silent hatred. And, with her brain rushing, she could only await the moment their companionship utterly snaps.

        As they stand before the doorway into the cell containing their bounty, Eden's hand subtly trails down to her holstered blaster. The familiar cold metal beneath her calloused fingertips helps to ease her nerves, though barely. Her gaze is sharply focused as Mayfeld opens the cell, and, from behind a door, a male Twi'lek emerges. His every movement flaring with dramatics, he stands, moving toward them. Eden's brow furrows in wonder as Din takes a small step forward, a surprised mutter rolling off the tip of his tongue. "Qin."

        And, with the Mandalorian's careful greeting, the pieces of the puzzle that had been taunting Eden finally snap together, creating a clear image of why everything had felt off. Her finger twitches to the safety of her blaster, silently switching it off, wincing at the small clicking sound it emits. But it appears to pass unnoticed, for all eyes are set upon the interaction between Qin and Din. The former of the two smiles sickeningly at the Mandalorian.

        "Funny, the man who left me behind is now my saviour," the male Twi'lek murmurs, his burning gaze never once straying away from The Mandalorian. Slowly, he crosses the floor of his cell, looking Din up and down; sizing him up. With the same bloodlust Xi'an possessed sparkling within his eyes, he comes to a stop in front of Din. A challenging smirk upon his lips, he speaks once more, a tone of hatred hidden within his words. "Mando."

        With that, chaos breaks loose.

        A guttural growl crawling from his throat, Burg slams his fist against Din's chest plate with a sickening thud. The impact sends Din flying, landing violently against the concrete floor of the cell - Mayfeld making quick work of locking him inside. Eden retaliates within an instant, aiming her blaster toward the devil-like creature. She shoots without hesitation, but to her displeasure, he had moved ever-so-slightly to the right - the blaster bolt merely grazing his cheek.

        A deafening, feral roar escapes from the depths of Burg as he whips around to face the woman, the agony caused by the wound on his cheek minor compared to his rage directed toward her. He swings his fist at her with more velocity than he had Din. She barely dodges it, but the second time, she is not so lucky. His fist collides with her stomach, knocking the breath from her as she collapses to the floor, gasping for breath. Without an ounce of mercy, his boot strikes her ribs with a crack, a hoarse groan of pain rippling from her throat. Burg moves to continue the attack before Mayfeld intervenes. "Woah, big guy. The bounty says she's wanted alive."