xv. another happy landing

chapter fifteen - act one
ANOTHER HAPPY LANDING

chapter fifteen - act oneANOTHER HAPPY LANDING

──────────

"Hand over the child."

A static voice echoes throughout the cockpit, erupting from their intercom system. The Razor Crest shudders violently beneath the blaster-fire of an enemy ship, the bounty hunter seeking the child close on their tail. Eden's nails dig into the fabric of the passenger chair, clinging to the seat's arms as if it were the only thing tethering her to life. Her gaze darts nervously to Din as another explosion ripples throughout their ship, creases forming on her forehead.

"I might let you live."

A string of whimpers echoes from the child as yet another blast slams into the already wounded ship, the ship trembling harsher than it had ever before. Alarms blare out throughout the ship, warning those within of the approaching end of its function if things are not to change. In a hurry, Din flips a few switches, his gaze shifting to both Eden and the child for a moment. "Hold on."

With every ounce of strength dwelling within herself, Eden clutches desperately onto her chair; first sparing a glance backwards to ensure the child is secure within his pod. The ship flips to the side, turning in every which way to dodge the onslaught of blasts directed toward them, though some still collide with the ship's metal exterior. The bounty hunter, still confident they hold the upper-hand, continues with their speech. "I can bring you in warm or I can bring you in cold."

Without warning, Din pulls back upon a lever; the ship jumping to a violent halt. Directing the ship upward and out of the path of their enemies barrelling ship, allowing it to fly past them. The opposing bounty hunter's ship flashing across the targeting system, Din locks onto the ship, his finger hovering over the button to shoot at them. Just as he presses down, three words pass by his lips. "That's my line."

The enemies ship ignites with a stunning inferno, reducing to nothing with a fleeting flame that soon dissipates within the void of space. In the absence of blaster-fire that had rained down upon them, the three within the Razor Crest are left only with the obnoxious beeping that ricochets between the spacecraft's walls. The screen before Din lights up with a vibrant red, catching the man's attention. "We're losing fuel."

Without missing the beat, the ship's power shuts off; everything fading to black. As their main source of light fades out, giggling erupts from behind the pair within the ship's seats. Eden's gaze half-heartedly flickers back for a moment, before she abruptly double-takes, the expression that falls upon the features one of exasperation. A grin is plastered across the child's youthful features, joy glistening within his doe-like eyes. Sharing a gaze with Din, an amused sigh passes by Eden's lips. "At least he's having fun."