xii. the mystery of home

chapter twelve - act one
THE MYSTERY OF HOME

chapter twelve - act oneTHE MYSTERY OF HOME

──────────

The sound of chattering among children dances within the airways, the noise gently awakening those upon the back of the metal cart. As Eden's eyes flutter gingerly open, the first thing she notices is that day is now upon them, the sun twinkling within the bewitching blue sky above. Though this realisation is followed by a far less friendly one, that being the vague aching within her neck, accompanied by the feeling of metal against the bare skin of her face. Brushing aside the daze she'd grown accustomed to waking up with, a slight tinge of redness spreads through her cheeks as she notices that, whilst she'd been asleep, her head had come to rest upon the shoulder of Mando, utilising his armour as a pillow. Despite the harsh surface not being of the most comfortable nature, she slept soundly and had not been awoken by the usual horrors that plague her dreams.

As Mando begins to stir awake, Eden pulls her body away from his own, hoping he knew not of what'd occurred whilst he slept. Her eyes betray her attempts at discreteness, for they go against her better judgement, and linger upon the metal-adorning man many moments longer. The words in which Cara had spoken upon the previous night briefly flicker through her mind, yet, with a slight shake of her head, she discards them, as she knew he only viewed their companionship as a way to better protect the child.

As she gathers together the will to finally tear her gaze away from the man, she knew not that he had noticed her actions, and that, beneath the veil of metal, he had met her earth-coloured eyes. Watching as she turns away, Mando waits for a few seconds to pass, as if not to let on he'd been awake all along. Slowly sitting forward from the edge of the cart, he, too, averts his gaze from the woman, his body shifting so he can look upon the many children who crowd around their cart, along with the adults who follow closely behind, smiles upon their lips. With a grin of his own daring to tug upon the corners of his mouth, Mando quips. "Well, looks like they're happy to see us."

"I didn't think we'd get a welcoming party," Eden's gaze darts back upon the man for a fraction of a second, the woman sending a small smile in his direction. The expression never fades from her lips as the familiar cooing of the green child within their care catches her attention, and she turns to see many of the village's kids standing in front of it, staring upon the creature with awe sparkling within their youthful, yet worn eyes. An eruption of innocent giggles and awe-filled words erupt from the group as the baby babbles incoherently to them, the same flicker of wonder brewing within it also.

Only able to linger within the same spot for so long, Eden soon finds herself aiding the people in the village in unpacking the cart, every adult lending a helping hand. After the task had been completed, she had been led to a lodging among the homes of the farmers, one in which she'd be occupying, alone. Though the idea of splitting from both Mando and Cara did not settle well within the pit of her stomach, as they are more vulnerable apart, she had felt that she may be overstepping her welcome with the former. Not too long ago had they been rivals in the task of delivering a child to its death, and if not for his actions, it's fate would have remained the same. They'd stuck beside one another for long enough, and she could only assume it would come as a relief to him that they're not forced into close quarters once more, as it should have been for her.