vi. slay the beast

chapter six - act two
SLAY THE BEAST

chapter six - act twoSLAY THE BEAST

──────────

"Stay safe."

The time of battle had arisen alongside Tatooine's twin suns. In the wake of this new day, an unlikely armoured, conjured both of Tusken Raiders and the Townsfolk, had gathered before the mouth of the krayt dragon's lair. Upon the peak of a hill, looming over the gathering soldiers, are a pair, clad head-to-toe in the sacred armour of the Mandalorians. Stood proudly beside them is Eden, the corners of her lips nervously creeping upwards as her few, parting words dance from the tip of her tongue. Her movement's hauntingly slow, she places a small device within the palm of Din's hand; the trigger linked to the explosives hidden beneath the sand, awaiting the beast's appearance.

Basking within the lonesome touch of her hand beneath the fabric of his glove, Din accepts the tiny, yet powerful device. Biting back words that blossom within his mind, he offers her a parting nod, speaking only two words - though, those two words possessed a power unforeseen to the eye. "You too."

These few words echoing within her mind, Eden steps away from the Mandalorian. Careful not to fall, she descends the hill's slope, her pace slowing as she reaches the crowd gathered at its base. As she weaves her way through the sea of people, and towards the group's frontlines, the colour within her knuckles slowly fades; her fingers absentmindedly tightening around her blaster rifle. Falling still as she reaches her premeditated position at last, she pauses a moment, before raising her weapon towards the gaping cave in which the dragon lurked. Taking her movement as their signal, those around her follow her lead, preparing themselves for the forthcoming fight.

A lonesome group of three tuskens stray from the crowd, wandering to the lair's opening, stopping before it's cavernous opening. Their weapons hang against their sides, their hands arise to their mouths, amplifying the bellowing screeches that barrel from their throats. The sound dances viscously across the barren lands between them and the cave, and, as it collides into the cave's damp walls, a deafening array of echoes ripple through the once still air.

Then, all falls still.

The earth trembles beneath as an ear-shattering roar ignites from beneath the sand. A stream of sand unsettled sand burrows toward them, thick clouds of dust left within its wake. The Tusken's before the cave's opening, - who now stand within the Dragon's path, - sprinting desperately back to the crowd.

A merciless explosion of heated sand erupts within the air; the dragon revealing itself from the earth's veil. Two of the three Tusken who'd awoken the beast find temporary safety behind their defences front lines, however, fate laughs at the third. They stumble over in their path, and, with a guttural raw, the Krayt Dragon descends upon it; it's jaw snapping shut as it swallows the Tusken whole.