xxii. untapped power

chapter twenty two - act one
UNTAPPED POWER

chapter twenty two - act oneUNTAPPED POWER

──────────

A small crack erupts from Eden's knees as she crouches down in front of a net, one that sections off a small pen for the blurrgs to meander freely within. The slender fingers of one hand wrap around the thin fabric to steady herself, while the other holds a light amount of feed for the creatures - outstretching it for their taking. She recoils as the rough texture of their tongue scrapes against her skin, her features contorting with disgust when it pulls away, leaving a glob of spit dripping from her hand.

A tiny smile twirls upon the lips of the Ugnaught who had watched her every movement, a sense of pride blossoming within his kind heart. To watch as a woman, who had grown numb to the horrors of the world, approaches the seemingly dangerous beast with such care was a blessing upon him. Wandering toward her as she arises from in front of the pen, he offers her a gentle pat on the back. "You appear to be a natural."

"I got you, Mando." The distinctive voice of Cara Dune interrupts the momentary peace between the abnormal pair, drawing Eden's attention toward her. Seated beside a crate that had been used to replicate a table are both Cara and Din, their fingers intertwined as they each try to slam the others against the surface. Their arms flex beneath the effort of attempting to combat the other, neither willing to lose the match. Currently, they were entrapped within a stalemate, each fighting an uphill battle to move the others arm even an inch.

"Care to double the bet?" Din tauntingly brags, yet his voice is strained beneath the effort of standing his ground. A symphony of grunts crawl from each of their throats, the noises of intense focus ricocheting through the ship's hull.

The child does not share this same amusement; worry weighing down his youthful features. He raises a tiny, shaking hand toward Cara, slowly clenching his fingers closed. The child's movement catches within the corner of Eden's eye, drawing her gaze toward the being; her brows furrowing with a hidden curiosity. A tense second passes, until an agonised choke crawls from the throat of Cara, the woman clawing desperately at the nothingness that suffocates her. Eden's body falls frozen, taken aback by the haunting flicker of anger that had rippled across the child's features as he had, somehow, attacked the ex-shock trooper. Yet she quickly sheds herself of her stupor, rushing between the child and Cara. "Hey, hey, stop. Stop!"

A tiny, eerily innocent coo meanders from the child's tongue as he begrudgingly lowers his hand, his doe-like eyes void of the harrowing anger they'd possessed just moments earlier. His body reacting at last, Din arises from his seat opposite Cara. His gloved hands reach out for the creature, taking it from its cot. A scolding tone within his modulated voice, Din reprimands him. "We're friends, we're friends. Cara is our friend!"