Chapter 16

“I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” – Angelita Lim

Demelza's POV.

I overheard Kodiak's conversation with a man named Phil over the phone, but I only heard bits and pieces from Kodiak's side as he shifted across the room outside the door.

From that bit of information, I could not help but think it was arsenal. It's a bold thing to assume, but what other reason could it have been? Unless we are bringing someone who wants revenge on them.

"Is everything okay?" I questioned, wanting complete honesty from him. I felt like his answer could make or break us. A part of me felt as though I had been a bit hard on him, but could you blame me? I felt like we had something good going on between us,we managed to open up to each other  and then when I was given that exploited evidence,how could I have not felt betrayed or questioned him. I am only human.

Evidence plays a big role in backing up everything; I must admit I should have listened to him sooner and given him a chance to explain. A part of me felt like the reason I did not want to hear what he had to say is probably because I was afraid of what he would say. I was afraid to be lied to and believe it only to be hurt again. I had a few people I liked and dated in the past, and if there was one thing they all had in common, it was that they all lied. Perhaps Kodiak was different, but I let past experiences and my own fear cause a bigger rift between us. He stared at me blankly, his eyes shifting around the room before falling on me again. He ran his fingers through his hair, sighing, finally walking towards me, crouching in front of me.

"I cannot get into full detail with it but there have been a lot of incidents happening at the company and it seems linked to one person. There have been a few issues that have risen in the past few months and even Kelly almost got attacked a week ago."

I grabbed his hands, I felt my stomach sink. "Are you okay? What about Kelly?"

"Oh? Are you worried about me?" He smirked.

"Pshhh, never." I smiled, waiting for him to continue.

"Kelly is perfectly fine,she told me she is staying with a friend so I feel a bit at ease." He sighed,rubbing to top of my hand.

"I got this feeling there's more that meets the eye and somehow Derek is probably involved. I have to go and visit my grandparents today to get some information about my mother..."He weakly smiled at me

"Could the people trying to attack the company and you be someone who was responsible for your mothers death?"

"That could be possible, but something seems off about this whole thing. I feel like something is missing... That is why I need to leave to sort out everything with my grandparents and her whatever information I can get out of them."

"Well I can help out," I wanted to be useful and help Kodiak to the best of my capabilities.

"Hmm, I would highly appreciate that Demelza. I really appreciate you listening to me, I needed that." Kodiak chuckled and I felt my heart melt. "If you would like, can you accompany me?" He pressed his hand on my cheek.

"Well I was gonna come anyway, even if you said no." I smirked.

"Take your shower Miss. Sinclair. First  impressions count for family." He kissed my lips softly, pulling away and getting up.

Family first impressions?

Whats that supposed to mean?

This man right here knows how to give me anxiety.