Chapter 0

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing."-Blaise Pascal.

The sterile and distinctive smell hit Demelza's nose making it twitch slightly as though trying to get away from the strong smell of chemicals. She woke up with a jolt, her eyes fluttering open droopily. The anesthetic wearing off while she tried picking herself up to find a more comfortable position and that's when  her senses came back all at once like angry waves in the ocean on a rainy, thunderstorm night.

She winced as pain shot through her right shoulder going down her hand,her left hand reflexively holding onto it. Demelza looked down at herself noticing she was in a hospital gown in a really, really white room with a lack of furniture. It made her even more sick realizing she was in the hospital after noticing the needle drip in her hand and the machines around her that you would normally see when walking in to visit a loved one in the hospital.

Demelza's eyes directed to her shoulder that was covered up with a bandage, a little circle of blood going through it and staining it. She noticed a little box with sweets and chocolates  and a teddybear next to the nightstand beside her bed. She grabbed the teddybear, sighing, holding it close as though needing some kind of reassurance. Of what? She was not sure.

She tried recollecting everything, pressing her fingers to her temples. Her eyes brimmed with tears thinking of Kodiak, slowly shaking her head, wiping away the traitorous tears that slipped down her face. She cannot cry anymore, that too over him. She remembered that there were gun shots everywhere when she tried crossing the pedestrian crossing and she was so afraid, feeling sick to her stomach at how much blood was everywhere and on her, little did she know was that she was also shot and fell unconscious, looking like a total idiot, probably...

She wanted to vomit and also scream with how much pain she was going through right now both physically and emotionally but those train of thoughts got interrupted by the sound of the door slowly opening and someone walking in with a tired expression on his face.

Demelza's biological father, Antonio Sinclair walked in through the door with two bunches of flowers in his hands. One being Carnations and the other being Lily of the Valley's. They were gorgeous and she felt touched by the fact that someone would go out of their way to get her Lily of the Valley flowers.

She felt self conscious while Mr. Sinclair made his way towards her, pulling out a chair and sitting next to her after setting down the flowers on the nightstand. She couldn't help brushing her fingers over the Lily of the Valley flowers before smiling fondly at the carnations.

"Hello Demelza..." Her attention went back to him.

"Your mother loved carnations..." He spoke out sadly, gesturing to the carnations and smiling. She was about to speak when he spoke up again.

"I know you have a lot of questions that you want answers to and... You probably might be angry at me..." He faltered, his eyes casting downwards.

She was not going to lie when she said she was not angry. She was angry that he did not tell her. Maybe it would have been a lower blow to her if she knew years ago. That brought up the question of how long did he know about her, was it recent or did he know from a very long time? Demelza was not just angry at him, she was angry at her parents as well for not telling her anything. She knew it was not right to be angry with people who have passed on but that did not mean it hurt knowing they hid such a big thing from her.

Did he not want her? Was that the reason why Demelza's mother never told her about him? That did not seem like the case though, he treated her so kindly and listened so intently when she talked but that did not mean she did not strike it out of the list of scenarios that were floating in her head.