Chapter 18

“There is a madness in loving you, a lack of reason that makes it feel so flawless.” — Leo Christopher

Demelza's Pov.

As we walk up the humongous staircase which was made of marble and covered with a fine,blood red carpet Kodiak told the butler to take him first to his room as he had a lot of work to complete but I guess that was so I could see which room he was in.

We walked towards the west wing, the portraits and frames of former family members hung ominously on the walls, their faces judging and staring suspiciously at us. I felt goosebumps prick my skin, and a shiver ran down my spine when we stood in front of a brown cherry door with engravings on it of a tree and flowers.

"They have especially prepared this room for you. We did not know you were expecting company, hence, Ms. Sinclair will be staying in the east wing as we have just recently renovated a few of the rooms in that wing." Ben nodded,placing Kodiak's bag on the bed,smoothing out the bed.

My eyes met Kodiak, and I could not help but laugh at him, trying to mask his distaste at what Ben said. I mean, I guess they are taking high measures to ensure nothing happens between us.

"I will see you at Ten then," I whispered to him as I walked out.

"The Dominguez family is very strict when it comes to new people entering the family. I hope you do understand, Ms. Sinclair."

Hehe,this is my chance to get some information.

"Of course I do. It would seem they value family a lot." I scoffed in my head.

"Ah,yes. Although there has been a lot of strain since Kodiak's father and mother got married."

"Why is that?" I leaned in closer, not wanting to miss a single thing he said.

"As you know they are both from different classes so there was a lot of objection but when they found out she was pregnant with Kodiak they seemed to go straight into marriage as he is the heir to everything they built." Ben sighed. "I warn you, Miss, do not try to dig to deep into this families secrets. You will only end up getting hurt." A slight sense of Venom laced his tone.

"That may be true, but would it not be easier to cooperate with Kodiak because his is only trying to protect the company. And he does value family." I grabbed my bag from Ben's hand when we reached a plain white door.

"Claudia's parents were doing well until the Dominguez ruined it and framed them for bribery and illegal works. That's all I can tell you." My eyes widened, Ben seemed like a nice guy who was tired of Kodiak's grandparents' ways, but he still had an obligation to hold. " I am only telling you this because I feel like Kodiak can change the way the Dominguez have been. He is already doing that, and he has a strong woman like you by his side. I want his heart to be at rest with his mother's death because it seems to still haunt and get to him." Ben turned to me,giving me a small smile before turning and directing me to the bathroom.

After he left, I put my phone on, Shane's number shining across my screen.

"I was just thinking about you!" I exclaimed.

"Oh my, that makes me feel so special. Are you okay, though?" Shane chuckled.

"I am good. I need your help, though -" I grabbed my laptop, I heard shifting noises before Shane told me to go on.

"I need you to get information on Claudia Dominguez's parents' company. It was a new and rising one, but all of a sudden, it went down, and there's no records or news about it anywhere." I scrolled on my laptop,not getting anything.