Chapter 5

"John Green, "The Fault in Our Stars"
I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

Demelza's POV.

"It is just lunch Demelza." Shane exasperated. It has been a week already and hell when it came down to business Shane was a completely different person who put on his game face and reprimanded me when I did something wrong or something he did not like but there was also this soft side to him that I enjoyed. He cracked up jokes and answered any question I asked, even if they were stupid. He was just such a nice person to be around. He reminded me so much of Matt. I really did miss Matt, I missed a lot of things lately.

I have been working my ass off from the time my training had begun and I was not going to lie when I said I was over thinking every single thing and trying to perfect everything. I was looking even more like a workaholic and Shane suggested lunch because he felt suffocated in the office especially since we have been cooped up in here for too long and I was trying to work carefully. Way too carefully.

"You go then." I scoffed looking back down at the papers he had given me. He got up, stuffing his hands in pockets, rounding the desk that separated us. Before I knew it he grabbed the papers from my hands making me gasp and glare daggers at him.

"These are mine and if you want them back, you will have to have lunch with me." He glared back at me, but it was so mischievous. I leaned back against my chair, contemplating whether I should or not.

"You are supposed to find work fun In a way, not boring like how you are making it out to be. I told you not to put pressure on yourself but you are still not listening to me." He sighed.

I just felt the need to work hard, even if it meant over exerting myself in the process and that was my downfall.

"Fine, but I am paying." I grabbed my bag. Maybe I needed time away from the company even if it's just for an hour or so. Shane grabbed my bag, pulling it away from me as well, throwing it on the couch close to the window.

"You are out of your mind if you think I will let you pay. Now let's go." He grabbed my one hand, lacing his hands through mines. It was friendly but I could not help but stiffening, feeling self conscious. I thought back to Kodiak when he held my hand in the den or even when we were at the carnival. Geez, stop it Demelza. I could not help comparing how it felt. With Kodiak I felt tingles in a weird way, almost whole but with Shane it was there but it was not as intense as Kodiak. The one thing that they had in common was that their hands were warm and covered my hand while hand.

I allowed Shane to take me to the restaurant of his choice, since I had no option anyway because he seemed to know exactly where he wanted to eat out at.

"Trust me, you need to try out the pasta." He smirked, talking to the host who was standing in front of the door of the restaurant. That was not very specific on what pasta I am supposed to taste but hey I am not complaining, I don't mind tasting everything.

"Ah, Shane! It's been a while and I see you have brought along with you a lady friend!" The man shouted out aloud, while he lead us in.

"Yep, this is my boss." I turned to look at him giving him the 'are you serious look right now'. He shrugged whispering close to my ear.

"Ms. Sinclair please behave like a businesswoman, will you."

I straightened up my posture, a seductive, joking smile making it way on my face, trying to act like the over exaggerated, stigma of a rich woman.