7

You dropped your bag to the floor as soon as you stepped inside the flat. "Guess who got the job!" You crowed.

Jazzy's head poked out from the bathroom, half her eyeliner done but smiling widely. "Congrats!"

You grinned as she disappeared back into the bathroom, and you walked over to lean against the door frame, watching her methodically apply her makeup. You recognized the heavy eyeliner and dark lipstick - she was going out tonight.

"Where are you headed?" You asked.

"There's going to be live music at this pub I like tonight." Jazzy said, snacking her lips together as she looked herself over in the mirror. "Maddy was going to go with me, but she has to stay late tonight."

"That's too bad." You said.

Jazzy's eyes widened and she turned to you. "What are you doing tonight?"

You laughed. "I shouldn't Jazz, I'm behind on chores here, and I was planning on using that bath bomb-"

"Please?" Jazzy pleaded. "It can be a reward for getting that new gig. I really don't want to go alone, and you never come out 'cause you're always working. Pretty please Y/N?"

You pursed your lips. It had been ages since you had actually done something for yourself - and it would be like a reward for getting that new writing gig. Plus, it would probably be one of the only times you weren't working for a while.

"I guess it couldn't hurt." You said.

Jazzy grinned, clapping her hands together excitedly. "This is going to be so much fun - you should go get changed, and then I can do your makeup."

"Alright." You said, heading back to your room to change from your work clothes into something suitable for a night out at a pub. It took a few tries to get the outfit right, but when you were satisfied you headed back into the bathroom.

Jazzy was perched on the counter, waiting for you, armed with eyeliner and mascara.

"C'mere." She beckoned, pulling you so that she could easily access your face. You closed your eyes and let her work her magic, humming some song all the while.

When you opened your eyes, you looked... hot.

"You don't think this is a little bit too sexy for just a pub?" You asked, turning your head so that you could see the full look in the mirror.

Jazzy slid down from the counter. "You look great." She said, which was not an answer to your question at all. "Let's go, let's go!" She all but skipped out of the room, heading towards the door.

"What pub is it?" You asked, slipping your phone and your wallet into your pockets and following Jazzy towards the door.

"It's that one on the corner by the seafood place." Jazzy said, opening the door. "My car or yours?"

"I'll drive." You said, pulling out your keys.

You unlocked your car and Jazzy hopped into the passenger seat, grinning widely. You lowered yourself behind the wheel and turned the ignition. "You're going to have to tell me how to get there, 'cause I don't really know where you're talking about."

Jazzy waved a hand as you pulled away from the curb. "I know how to get there."

She did not know how to get there.

After getting lost twice, Jazzy not remembering the name of the place, and several frantic Google searches; you pulled into the parking lot of the place. It was pretty full, and it took you a moment to find an open space, Jazzy kicking her feet impatiently and entirely too cheerfully for someone who had just almost missed the show.

As soon as you parked the car she was out the door, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "C'mon, we're going to miss him!"

"You're the one who got us lost, remember?" You said, getting out of the car and locking it behind you.

Jazzy just laughed and grabbed your arm, hauling you into the pub.

It took a moment for your eyes to adjust to the dim lighting, but when they did, you took a look around the place. It was like most pubs you'd had been in - full of small tables, a bar along one wall, low hanging light fixtures and full of chatter. A low stage took up one of the corners of the place, marked off by a strip of color changing LED lights.

Jazzy found you a table sort of close to the stage and sat down. "Want anything to drink?" She asked. "I'll pay."

"No, I'll drive us home." You said, waving her off. "Go get something for yourself though."

Jazzy grinned and headed off to the bar.

You took the time to get a look at the stage, maybe squeeze out a hint at what kind of band was playing. There was an acoustic guitar leaned up against the wall, and a stool for the performer to sit on. Not much else though.

Jazzy returned with a pint of beer and slipped into her seat.

"Who's playing?" You asked, nodding to the stage.

"Oh." Jazzy said. "He's this indie guy that Maddy and I like - he's got a few good songs. Wilbur Soot's his name."

You pursed your lips. Wilbur Soot... Soot... why did that sound familiar? "Sounds familiar." You said.

"Maddy talks about him a lot." Jazzy said by way of explanation. "She really likes his album Your City Gave Me Asthma. He'll probably play some songs off it tonight."

You nodded - that was probably it. You settled into your seat as Jazzy prattled on about how she thought he was going to get a song on the radio one of these days, just idly gazing around the place.

"...a couple new ones, all about sad internet shit - oh! There he is!"

You came back to reality, following Jazzy's gaze to where a tall man was taking the stage, his back turned to you. There was something familiar about him-

When he turned around, your eyes latched onto the same honey brown eyes you had seen days before.

Your noisy neighbor from the office was holding an acoustic guitar.