17

Just as before, Wilbur's set was actually really good. Of course, you knew all the songs now, so it didn't have the same spark as it did the first time you had heard everything, but there was a warmth in the familiarity, and every time Wilbur would catch a glance of you singing along, he would smile again.

He really did have a great smile.

He ended up playing four of his songs from the album, and then his funny ones about the internet (you would have to learn the words to these as well). You let yourself relax and actually enjoy the music, not worrying about getting home or things that you had left that still needed to be done - and the experience was all the better for it. You laughed at the little comments between songs Wilbur made, and swayed along to the music when he played.

Before you knew it though, the show was winding to a close and Wilbur finished up his set, taking a mockingly dramatic bow before disappearing from the stage. The lights came back slightly, and chatter began to fill the room as people moved from their seats to the tables around the edges of the place and gathered at the bar. 

"He's so talented." Maddy said as the lights came back. "I can't believe you actually know him, and that he just gave you tickets for all of us... I've been a fan of his for years."

"He'll probably come say hi at some point." Jazzy said. "He did last time, when it was just Y/N and I, and he was flirting the whole time-"

"He was not." You cut in. "He was just being polite, since we work in the same building. I had only spoken to him once then-"

"Hey."

You looked up to see Wilbur across the stage again to perch on the edge, his legs dangling in front of you as he rested his elbows on his knees. He grinned, and brushed a curl out of his face. "What'd you think of the show?"

"It was really good." You said. "I know I've told you before, but you're really good with that guitar."

Wilbur smiled before turning to Maddy. "You're the roommate I haven't met yet - I'm Wilbur."

"Maddy." She introduced herself, leaning forward to shake his hand. "I've been a fan of yours for a few years now, I really like your music and I think you're really talented and I hope you keep making more."

"Oh- thank you!" Wilbur said. "That's really sweet. I'm so glad you all could make it - I'm sorry I wasn't there to give you the tickets, but I had an appointment that day-"

"No, it's fine." You said. "It was really nice of you to set some aside in the first place, you really didn't have to do that."

"Well," Wilbur said, fiddling with the rips in his jeans. "I kind of did."

"You really didn't." You said. "I mean, between letting me ruin your stream and bringing me a coffee that day, you've more than made up for the noise. Honestly, it's starting to grow on me a little."

Wilbur ducked his head, fixing his beanie. "The noise. Right."

Jazzy got up then, reaching over to take Maddy by the arm as well. "Come get a drink with me?" She asked, pulling her sister out of her seat. 

Maddy looked at you as she stood up, a slight grin on her face. "Sure." She said, and they were off towards the bar, leaving you with Wilbur. Jazzy tossed a look over her shoulder as they walked away, winking bawdily at you.

"You're not going to have a pint?" Wilbur asked, nodding at the bar. 

You shook your head. "Not really my thing."

"Yeah, drinking would probably inhibit your ability to work, right?" Wilbur chuckled. 

You laughed, though the comment stung a little bit. Was that really what people noticed first? That you were always working? To be fair, it was sort of true, but you would have liked to think that it wasn't the most prominent trait about you. "Ouch. Low blow."

"Sorry." Wilbur laughed. "I mean, you are always working though."

"I'm not working now." You said. "You should be honored that I took time out of my schedule to come watch you play."

"Believe me, I am." He said. "It was really nice to see you sitting there - especially front and center where I could really see your face. I like the makeup, by the way."

"Oh, thank you." You said, subconsciously bringing a hand to your face as he mentioned it. "Jazzy did it."

"It looks really good on you." He said with a smile. 

You could feel your face heat up a tad at that, but you brushed it off - he was just being nice. That's all it was.

"Hey, do you think you would want to come to another show?" Wilbur asked, leaning forward slightly. "I could get tickets for you and your roommates again."

"Oh, you really don't have to." You said. "It was too nice of you to do it this time, and you should give tickets to your friends, or your family or someone, you really don't have to give them to me. Believe me, you don't have to try and make up for the noise anymore, I've completely forgotten about it." You smiled.

Wilbur looked confused for a moment. "Well... we're friends aren't we?"

Was that what he had been trying to do? Become your friend? Now that you thought about it, it made more sense. You were the only young people at the office, and it would be nice to have a sort-of work friend, even if you didn't really 'work' together. Working in the same building was close enough, right? And Wilbur seemed very nice from what you knew of him now. He would make a good friend, and you could always use a few more good friends. 

"Yes, I would say we're friends." You said. 

Wilbur smiled. "Well, then why can't I invite my friend to my shows?"

You shook your head. "You know I would come anyway, free tickets or no."

You had never seen Wilbur smile wider.