26

At the end of the day, there was still work to be done. You had known, in the back of your mind that focusing would be an issue and that you would probably have to work at home tonight to get everything done in time, and you had been right. Before you left the office you had loaded everything onto your laptop so that you would have what you needed.

You weren't too excited about having to spend extra time working in your room, but you would do what you had to.

You made you way into the flat - bustling inside and shrugging your coat off before heading straight to your room. You wanted to get this over with as soon as possible-

"Y/N, wait, hold on!" 

Jazzy grabbed your arm just before you headed into your room. In her other hand, a slip of paper was clutched, wrinkling it terribly. She pressed it into your hand excitedly, nodding at you to read it.

Your eyes scanned over the print. "This is a ticket to a show."

"Yes." Jazzy said. 

You raised an eyebrow. 

"Wilbur's show." Jazzy said excitedly. "I know it's kind of far away, and that you were probably going to work tonight, but it was the only ticket left that I could find, and Y/N please go!"

Your breath caught in your throat as you looked down at the crumpled piece of paper in your hand. You had never heard of the venue before, and you had no idea how Jazzy had managed to find it, but here it was, in your hand. 

And in your other hand, your laptop case. 

"Jazz, I..." You started. "My deadline is tomorrow morning."

Jazzy's face fell. 

You held out the ticket for her to take back. "I'm really sorry... and I really appreciate that you thought of me, but I can't. You should go though. I'm sure he would be happy to see you."

"I'm not the one that he cares about!" Jazzy said. "Y/N you have to go!"

"I can't." You insisted. "The deadline-"

From behind you, someone lifted your laptop case out of your hand. You turned to see Maddy tucking the case under her arm, looking down at you disapprovingly. "You can't be serious right now." She said.

"Maddy, I have work." You said. "You should know more than anyone that-"

"Y/N for once in your life, please stop worrying about work." Maddy said. "What do you want?"

Something about the way she said it made you pause. At first you were angry - it was your job, you had to get this done in time, or you weren't going to get paid. But then- you stopped. You wanted to see Wilbur. For a long time, you had been wanting to take a break. 

You wanted to go to that show.

"But what about my articles?" You asked. "I can't just-"

"I'll look at them." Maddy said, tapping your laptop. "Don't worry about it. I'll do the edits, and get them to the magazine on time."

"Maddy..." You said. "You don't have to do that."

"You're right, you owe me one." Maddy said, heading off to her room with your laptop. "Tell Wilbur I said hi, alright?" 

Jazzy - who was still latched onto your arm, tugged you away from your room and into the bathroom, where her makeup case was already open on the counter, and a bunch of your clothes were scattered around the room into outfits. 

"I really like that one," Jazzy said, pointing to an ensemble that she had draped over the shower curtain. "But you can choose."

You pulled down the clothes, holding them up. "No I think it's good."

"Great." Jazzy grinned, grabbing her makeup bag. "You can get changed after I draw on your face."

You laughed, and perched on the edge of the toilet so that Jazzy could work her magic. As your eyes were closed and you listened to her hum as she worked, you were overwhelmed with the sudden rush of affection you had for her. 

"Thank you." You said. 

"You're welcome?" Jazzy said. "It's just makeup-"

"No, for everything else." You said. "Really, thank you." 

"Well." Jazzy said, smoothing down a lock of your hair gently. "Someone has to take care of you."

"And you're the best at it." You said. 

"Open your eyes." Jazzy said. 

You did, looking up at her smiling face. "How do I look?"

"Amazing." Jazzy said, tugging you up from your seat and spinning you around so that you could see yourself in the mirror. You smiled at your reflection, leaning your head on Jazzy's shoulder. 

She batted you away though. "Not the time, you have to get dressed and get out of here or you're going to be late!" Jazzy said, grabbing her case and ducking out of the bathroom. "Hurry, hurry!"

You rolled your eyes, smiling, and began to change out of your work clothes, picking up the outfit you had pulled down from where Jazzy had draped it over the shower curtain rod. Already, your stomach was beginning to fill with butterflies - you were going to see Wilbur again. Thanks to Jazzy and Maddy, of course. 

You finished changing and stepped out of the bathroom to find Jazzy, waiting with your car keys and the ticket. 

"I texted you the address of the place." She said, handing you the keys and the ticket. "If you leave now you should be able to make it just in time so you don't miss anything."

You tucked the ticket into your pocket. "Jazzy, I really can't thank you enough."

"You don't have to." Jazzy said. "Just go, and kiss that boy's stupid face."

"I think I can do that." You said. 

Jazzy all but shoved you out the door of the flat, and you dashed to your car, starting up the engine and clicking on the address she had texted you so that the GPS opened. As soon as you started up the car, Wilbur's album began to play - you had been listening to it on the way home, obviously not thinking that you were going to see him tonight, but it was fitting, as you pulled away from the flat and headed off into the night.