23

You let the door to the office swing shut behind you as you escaped from the cold and into the warmth of the building. The weather had only gotten worse over the past few days, and you were missing the mildness of a few weeks prior. Looking back, you hadn't known how good it had been.

"Morning Y/N." 

You looked to see Oscar leaning against the doorframe of his office. 

"Morning Oscar." You said. "How've you been?"

"Good." He said, smiling slightly. "Would you care to join me for a cup of tea this morning? Just to catch up. I haven't seen you in a while."

A cup of tea would be nice on a cold morning like this, and it had been a while since you had talked to Oscar properly. "Sure." You said. "That sounds lovely."

Oscar pushed off the door frame and led the way into his office, pulling out a chair for you to sit in. You did, sliding off your coat and slipping your bag off your shoulder, setting them neatly beside you. 

"What kind would you like?" Oscar asked. "I've got black, green, chamomile - oh, there's this lemon cake that Martha got me, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious."

"Why don't we give that one a try?" You suggested. "It sounds like something I would like."

"Alright then." Oscar said, setting up two mugs and starting up the Keurig. The steaming water poured into the mugs and Oscar dropped two tea bags in before handing you a mug and a spoon. You took it and set it down on the edge of the desk - letting the tea steep for a bit. 

"So." You asked. "How are you? How's Martha and the kids?"

"Martha's been good." Oscar said. "She just started this new yoga class that she's really enjoying. She goes after dinner on Thursdays, so it's time for me and the kids to bond too - Marianne's been trying to teach me how to play Mario Kart, but I'm not that good." He smiled fondly. 

"No Mario Kart for Tyler yet?" You asked. 

"He's still wrapping his head around walking, so not quite, no." Oscar said. "It's funny to see him try though - he'll pick up a controller that's not even on and start hitting buttons like it's the most serious thing in the world."

You smiled. "It sounds adorable."

"I wish I had a video to show you." Oscar said. "But, how are you?"

"I've been busy." You said, swirling your tea bag around in the mug. Understatement of the century. "The magazine I'm writing for at the minute had to move a bunch of their deadlines around, so it's been a bit of a scramble, but I'm managing. It's been a lot less noisy though, so that's been helpful."

"You won't have to worry about noise anymore." Oscar said, taking a sip of his tea. "Oh, this is rather good."

You wouldn't have to worry about noise anymore... in what way? 

"I won't have to worry about noise anymore?" You asked, taking a sip of your tea as well. The liquid scalded your tongue. 

"Well, you weren't the only one complaining." Oscar said. "The man on the other side of Soot - Darrell, I don't know if you've ever run into him, but he's a nice bloke - he's been in almost every week to tell me that he's being a nuisance. Even the woman across the hall from him had been in a few times. It just got to a point where I had to ask him to leave, unfortunately." Oscar sighed, setting his mug down on his desk. 

You looked down at the tea in your mug. "Oh."

"Not on bad terms or anything though." Oscar continued. "He was always a nice young man, and I really hate to see him go, but I told him he would always be welcome to drop by and say hello. I hope whatever he does pans out for him."

"I'm sure it will." You said. 

There would be no more noise coming from that office, because Wilbur was gone. 

No more sitting in on his streams, or concert tickets set aside for you, or banter in the few feet between your doors. You weren't going to see his big brown eyes and his fluffy curls and his cable knit sweaters every day anymore. 

"Should be easier to get things done now though." Oscar said. 

You hummed. 

He sat up in his seat. "You alright?" He asked. "You seem put out all of a sudden-"

"No, no I'm alright." You said, perking up so that you didn't concern Oscar. "Just thinking about all that work waiting for me."

"Well," Oscar laughed. "Thinking about work is enough to dampen anyone's mood."

You sipped at your tea. The swirling brown was almost the same color as Wilbur's eyes. A shade or two darker and it would have been a perfect match. No more getting lost in his eyes at inopportune moments. No more mapping his mannerisms in the corner of your eye. No more looking for him on instinct every time you walked into the office - though you had a feeling you still would out of habit. 

"I should probably let you go though." Oscar said. "Wouldn't want to cause anymore stress with those deadlines."

You smiled thinly, setting your mug down and picking up your bag and your coat instead. "Thank you for the tea and the chat Oscar. It was lovely catching up."

"Of course, you know you're welcome anytime." Oscar said, seeing you to the door even though it was only a few steps away. "Good luck with those deadlines."

"Good luck with Mario Kart." You said, tossing a wave over your shoulder as you headed down the hallway towards your own office. 

It was quiet as you padded down the worn carpeting, and soon enough you were approaching Wilbur's door - or, old door now you supposed - only a few feet away from yours. You stopped for a moment, looking at the plain dark wood.

He wasn't there anymore. 

You walked into your own office feeling strangely drained, even though you hadn't done any work yet.