Chapter Three

Who Ya Gonna Call?

Who Ya Gonna Call?

TODAY WAS HALLOWEEN. Anne had been waiting all year. Or, all of the year since she had first heard of the holiday. It was a day where they got to dress as whatever they wanted, going around town with their friends, and ask for free candy. Then they were given candy! It was the best holiday ever, perhaps second to Christmas because on Christmas she could give people presents. She'd never actually got to do it but it sounded fun.

The boys had an idea made up before Anne's return. There had been a few offers to include her, but only Will really pressed. The truth was Anne had warned to join them, but felt wrong pressing them. She could still go with her own costume, right? She just needed to...find a costume.

Anne might have been a little too excited about the candy part.

"Maybe you could...ask Sam and Andrew?" Will had suggested, when Anne mentioned. "Then you could dress up with them?"

Anne shrugged, "But I'm going with you."

"They could come, too," Will said.

"Wouldn't Mike get mad?" Anne pointed out.

"Oh...right," Will lowered his gaze. Of the boys, he was the least willing to tell Mike how he felt. Will didn't like conflict, even if that meant being a doormat. "Well, I guess it's up to you. Since they're your friends."

Unfortunately, Will wasn't with Anne when she road into the parking lot. Campbell had agreed to let her ride her bike, just for this special occasion, but Will still needed to be dropped off by his mother. Anne came to a stop right as the others arrived, humming the Ghostbusters theme song.

"Who ya gonna call?" The boys sang.

Will finished as he came to meet them, "Ghostbusters!"

The group hurried off their bikes for group hugs. They yelled random names as they did. It took Anne a moment to realize they were welcoming each other with the names of their characters, not their actual names. She giggled. It was fun seeing them take the holiday so seriously, and only made her more excited for the coming night.

Anne looked around. Few people had arrived yet. She hoped everyone dressed up like the boys had. While she hadn't, since she hadn't thought of a costume yet, it would be fun to see everyone's costumes. Maybe it would even give inspiration.

Mike turned Lucas so he could read his shirt. "Why are you Venkman?"

"Because I'm Venkman," Lucas said.