Chapter One

Missing! Have You Seen Me?

THE OUTSIDE  WORLD HURT. Twigs broke under the girls' feet and dug into their feet. One continued ahead despite this. She knew they needed to keep going because a hard ground was far from the worst thing that could happen to them. The other hung back. Unaware of the monster they left behind and the people searching for them, she felt safe to stop. To pick up the stick and study it. To wonder what it felt the need to hurt her when she'd done nothing to it.

Dressed only in hospital gowns, the two weren't prepared for the autumn chill. Tattoos were printed on the inside of their wrists 011 and 010. These were the closest thing they had to names.

But that was alright, they were weapons. Weapons don't get names and proper clothes.

A bird flittered from one tree to another. Ten turned to watch it. It landed in a small bowl made of twigs and leave. Little head popped out from the bowl. Ten startled and hurried away.

"Come," Eleven reached out to grab Ten's hand.

Ten glanced back at the birds. They looked happy. She followed Eleven.

Soon the walk became tiring. A gnawing feeling grew in Ten's stomach. She was no stranger to hunger. There had been many times when her powers had failed and she'd been tossed into The Closet. Then she'd be left there for days on end until Papa decided that she'd learned her lesson.

So when a smell floated through the air, Ten was quick to hurry her friend towards it. It smelt like food. They stumbled out of the forest on a road. Ten looked up and down it. No one came past. Across the street was a small building. That was where the smell was from.

Before they could find the source, a man exited the build. Ten hurried Eleven back into the forest to hide. He was a big man. Though his clothes were more ragged than any doctor would be allowed, Ten had learned not to trust big men. They liked to hurt her and always got away with it.

Still, they were desperate. As soon as the man disappeared, Eleven dragged Ten forwards. They slipped in as the door closed.

The room looked similar to the lab. It was pale and light and clean. And cold, Ten notes as she stepped onto the polished floor. Shiny silver shelves held tins and boxes. A metal counter lined one of the walls. It was covered in baskets of puffy sandwiches and strange crisp sticks. A bubbling sound came from a small indent in the counter.

Ten wandered over to investigate. A basket and been lowered down into a bubbling oil. Inside were more or the crisp sticks were turning a golden brown as she watched. Ten reached for them. Then something popped up, too small to see, and stung against her skin. Ten yelped and pulled away.