Chapter Eight

D'Artagnan and the Spy

A LOT HAD HAPPENED IN THE DAY AND A HALF ANNE WAS GONE. It had gotten to the point Sam had to use the notebook and pen in her pocket because she didn't know the signs for "weird-ass slug creature."

As far as Sam knew and could communicate, the night of Halloween Dustin had found a slug-like creature in his trash. He had named it Dart and brought it into school. For the entire school day, he had wanted to show it to Mr. Clarke...until the second before it happened. Then Mike burst in, announced it was all a prank, and hurried everyone into the AV club. Everyone but Max, Andrew, and Sam. Suddenly it was a "party issue." Then they lost Dart and Will had an episode, and once again the three were expected to help without any explanation.

'Your friends are jerks,' Sam finished with a sour scowl.

With that, Sam crossed her arms and stared hard at Anne. Anne regretted letting Sam go first. Everything she had said ran through Anne's mind as she tried to think about what all of this could mean.

Still, Anne managed to explain some simple things. Shirley was her mother (the woman waved from the front seat) and Anne had been trying to find her. There was something Sam and Andrew needed to know a lot they need to know, actually about Anne and her friends. That part would have to wait. Anne still wasn't sure how to explain everything, let alone give evidence in the car, along with wanting to only explain the whole thing once and with someone (Andrew) more likely to accept strange things without calling it ridiculous and dismissing it.

They finally arrived at Andrew Ellsworth's house. By now Shirley had to leave them on their own, since Gladys didn't like to alone when sick. She still made sure Anne still had her phone number, just in case she needed backup.

Andrew answered the door, his mother not there far behind.

"Andrew, I've told you, don't answer the door," Mrs. Ellsworth scolded.

Andrew protested, "But it's only my friends. I don't think Sam is going to kidnap me, mother, and even if someone tried I can just shut the door in their faces."

"You didn't know that," Mrs. Ellsworth said.

"Yes, I did. Sam rings the doorbell a lot because she thinks we're ignoring her," Andrew explained.

"You di" Mrs. Ellsworth sighed and shook her head. It seemed she realized something Anne had as well Andrew was incredibly hard to argue with. "Come in, you two. Little rude to leave you on the doorstep."