Chapter Ten

Monsters in the Dark

ANNE RECOGNIZED THEIR FINAL LOCATION. The junkyard the same junkyard they hid in the year before. Old cars sat scattered around, rusting away. In the distance, Anne could make out the forest. The sky was clear except for wisps of clouds and jet trails and the sun showing off the car. A faint breeze came through the air, sending the few leaves still clinging to the trees fluttering.

It seemed too nice a day to be hunting monsters, except...

A rotten smell wafted through the air. Sam pinched her nose and glared down at the pile of meat at their feet. The trail the group had been dropping led to here. One final feast before they took out Dart. And a smell to turn anyone off meat for a week, Anne thought as she wrinkled her nose at the pungent odor.

A voice shouted from atop a nearby hill. "I said medium-well!"

The group turned. There they found Lucas, one hand on his bunk and the other waving to them. Next to him was Max. Anne grinned and waved back to them. Dustin hadn't mentioned Max coming, but she wasn't complaining. The only question was where Mike and Will were.

"Who's that?" Steve asked.

"Oh, that's Lucas," Andrew offered.

"No, I know Lucas I meant" Steve gave an exasperated sigh. "I meant the girl."

Andrew shrugged. "That's just Max."

Lucas dropped his bike by a car and hurried towards the group. Anne expected him to come to a stop. Instead, he barreled into her. Anne laughed and hugged her friend back.

"Where were you?" Lucas demanded.

"I found my mom," Anne said.

"Really? Holy shit!" Lucas stared at Anne. "I thought you were avoiding us or something."

Anne frowned. "Avoiding you?"

Lucas nodded. "Mike said you were super pissed at him, and were probably avoiding us."

Anne shrugged sheepishly. Mike wasn't wrong. She had been mad at him, and she had chosen not to go to school to avoid them. However, she didn't want to tell Lucas that. It wasn't his fault Mike was being a giant jerk, and Anne was happy to see him. Besides, technically she hadn't been avoiding them. Just Mike.

Before they could continue, Dustin waved to them. After a few confused glances, they realized he wanted them to come over. Dustin dragged them behind a car so the others couldn't see.