Chapter Eleven

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

TEN'S LEGS WERE STARTING TO CRAMP. She'd been huddled against the bus seat for what felt like forever. Still, she didn't risk standing up. Despite his promises of help and protection, The Chief hadn't shown up yet. Why hadn't he shown up yet? They were growing worried. None more than Dustin, who paced up and down the middle aisle of the bus.

Something rustled outside the bus. Ten risked peering over the window. It was on a deer. It sniffled around before spotting her and sprinting off. Ten hid as well.

Dustin thumped up and down the floor. Everyone else had moved to a seat, and only Ten stayed pressed in the corner. What if someone walked by? Was a rundown bus a normal place for kids to spend their time? How many people did Papa have looking for them?

Mike snapped, "Will you stop pacing?"

"It's been way too long," Dustin retorted, still pacing, "You know what? Maybe you're right. Maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now!"

Ten flinched at the sudden yelling. She checked out the window again. No one was there, which meant Dustin hadn't tipped anyone off about their location. Good.

Lucas argued, "It's not a trap. Why would the chief set us up? Nancy, maybe, but the chief?"

"Lando Calrissian," Dustin replied.

"Would you shut up about Lando," Lucas glanced over at Ten, who was still waiting for someone to hear them and attack. "And stop yelling, you're scaring Ten."

Dustin ignored both requests. Instead, he got in Lucas's face and yelled, "I don't feel good about this. I don't feel good about this!"

"When do you feel good about anything?"

Ten covered her ears and curled into a tighter ball. All the yelling made her head hurt, and she was certain someone could hear them. They would get caught, and then they would be locked up, and Papa would kill their friends. Ten started to cry. She didn't want her friends to get hurt. She didn't want to go back to Papa. She just wanted to back to Mike's basement and read comics and explore all the hidden spots she could find.

There was the sound of a car approaching. The group rushed to the front of the bus. Ten had RP press herself in to see through the front window.

Black cars drove in from every direction. Ten's eyes widened. Bad men.

The group rushed to the back of the bus. They tried to hide behind the backs of the bus seats. Ten did her best to crawl under one. It didn't work and she was forced to hide in a seat.