Chapter 9 - Dreamy Explanation

(art by wolfythewitch)

(ALSO NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE A FUN 'ASK THE CHARACTERS' CHAPTER! LEAVE YOUR QIESTIONS HERE! I'LL USING A DESIGN OF MINE TO REPRESENT Y/N, BUT REMEMBER, Y/N IS WHOEVER YOU WANT HER TO BE! So yes - leave your questions here, my lovely readers)

You were somewhat confused by the so-called prophecy, raising an eyebrow. "What exactly does that mean?" You turned to the king, giving him a look of confusion.

Techno scanned over the tablet once again, entranced by the old language, before snapping back to reality, looking to you. "Oh, sorry, was distracted. It's simple, really. First one to, ah..." He tried to find the words for it, scratching the back of his neck. "Well, first to, uh...'deflower' the queen?"

You were even more confused. He seemed to see this and sighed, running a hand over his braid with what looked a small blush. "Alright, how many ways are there to say it without making things awkward...taking innocence? That's a good way, I guess...uh...booooone." He spoke to himself, lost in thought. You finally seemed to get the idea, blushing madly. "Why the hell would the prophecy talk about that?"

Techno raised his hands in defense, shrugging his shoulders. "You're asking the wrong guy, I didn't make it! I'm guessing it's cause that was, like...sacred back when it was made? Now peasants kinda just do it on the streets, so...it's not exactly 'cool' anymore when the peasants are doing it." He rolled his eyes, turning back to the door you two had entered. "Now, do remember, my queen, the deal we made. If you aren't back by the time agreed - let's say, like...two hours from now, I'm going to have myself a scavenger hunt. If I find you, you know what happens." He said rather dismissively, before leaving the library.

You, of course, asked the librarian for a direct translation of the prophecy, to which she gave the same answer. Now, either they were all in some weird plot against you to get you to bone the weird pig dude, or that was genuinely the prophecy - you were leaning towards the ladder.

You decided you'd come back with a pouch and purchase as many books as possible later when you were able, exiting the building and beginning on your merry way to explore the village. It couldn't be that big, right...? Well, you ended up getting lost, and hopelessly so, deciding to just purchase something to eat and sit down while you remembered which way you went.

While you were sitting, you heard a familiar voice - one you didn't want to hear. The theif you'd met before. "Ah - hi! Oh my God, I thought I'd never see you again-...hey!" The masked man eagerly knelt down next to you, causing you to panic and whack him with the newly purchased baguette. He fell back, rubbing the side of his face with a small whine. "Alright, alright, understandable, but please hear me out! I'm really sorry for tryna go that far without even, like...knowing you. I just..." He struggled to find the right words, running a hand through his hair.

You readied your baguette to hit him again, causing him to scoot back and wave his arms. "Nononono, just let me explain!" He begged. You lowered the baguette, feeling somewhat bad. Dream let out a long sigh, adjusting his mask into proper place. "When I was young, my mom used to tell me about this...prophecy, y'know? I loved hearing that story, and used to imagine myself as king... I just thought...maybe if I fulfilled it, I could see her again, and she'd be, y'know, proud of me!" His voice broke halfway through his explanation. "The king has strict rules that everyone who turns eighteen has to immediately enlist in military. I haven't seen my family in...well, months. I've been hiding from the guards cause I'm not joining them. They kill innocents!"

You softened up somewhat at the explanation, lowering your bread. "Look, I'm not saying you gotta forgive me, but I'm sorry. Can't we just, y'know, restart?" He lowered his mask slightly to show you his begging eyes - that of a puppy. You sighed, shaking your head. "I forgive you. Just don't do that again, alright? Without asking, I mean." You were somewhat embarrassed by your own words, looking away with a pout.

Dream put his mask back in place, smirking slightly. "Without asking, eh? So you're saying there's a cha-" He was interrupted by another whack of the bread, causing him to hiss in pain. "Yep, yep, I deserved that."