Chapter 10 - A Day On The Town

(A/N - If it wasn't all too clear from chapter 9, the reason Dream was 'speedrunning' romance was due to his knowledge of the prophecy - if he achieved a 100% speed run, to his knowledge, he would become eternal king, and like...who doesn't want that??)

Once the thief had calmed you down and you had eaten the whole baguette, rendering you baguette-defenseless, you two had ended up talking a bit more.

"So, ah...why do you steal from the king?" You questioned, doing your best to balance on a fallen wall. You two had ended up somewhat outside of town due to his insisting that the king might be watching them, due to his overprotective nature.

Dream rubbed the back of his neck, biting his cheek nervously. "It's a long story..." He trailed off, obviously somewhat nervous.

You rolled you eyes, sitting down and looking at your new acquaintance. "I still have a bit before I have to head back. If you're not comfortable, you don't gotta tell me." You pointed out, crossing your arms.

Dream gave you a quick glance with a frown before sighing. "No, no, it's fine, I can tell you. See, the king has an implemented law that every man that turns eighteen must enlist in the military. Not only is that sexist, but I don't wanna fight for that asshole! All he does is lounge around in his huge castle and get paintings done of him. Like, yeah, he goes into war, but he never even gets hurt. Does he even participate?" He wondered aloud to himself, laying back on the grass. The exact place you were in was a somewhat decrepit, run down house outside of the borders only a few minutes out of town. "Before I turned eighteen, I'd help around the house - I earned money for us selling things I'd find outside of the village. Like, cool rocks and stuff. Once I turned eighteen, I had to run of or I'd be enlisted - now I have to run or I'll be locked up. I feel so bad for my sis...and my mom..."

You could hear the sadness creeping up in his voice, causing you to hop off of the wall and sit next to him. "I see..." You had never been through anything of the sort, though you knew from your college days that being away from your family was hard. You couldn't imagine how hard it was to be forced to be away from your family. "I'm sorry." You said simply, setting your hand comfortably on his hair. He flinched at your actions yet soon relaxed, closing her eyes under his mask. "That's why I wanted to be king. So I can give them a good life - and a good life to all those soldiers he forced away from families..." He shook his head. "I won't be king, though, and that's alright."

"That's not necessarily true!" You blurted out, though soon blushed at the implication. "I mean - what I meant was, ah...the implications for anything I'd say are bad, so I really don't know where I was going with that - I was just tryna make you feel better, and-"

He interrupted you with a laugh, sitting up. You could see his mask shift up, signaling that he was most likely smiling. "I appreciate it. You're adorable when you're embarrassed." He chuckled, getting up and holding his hand out to you.

"You don't have to go back to the castle, you know. Why don't you just...stay with me at my hideout?"