Chapter 3

Tay's POV

It was late into the night but sleep still alluded me. I was in my bed, staring at my ceiling wall, still high off the vibe from tonight's bonfire. I grabbed my camera and decided to browse the photos that I took earlier. While going through them, a picture of a smiling Mild caught my eyes.

 While going through them, a picture of a smiling Mild caught my eyes

'She's so beautiful' I thought at once. I was mesmerized by it that I didn't even notice myself staring at it for awhile. I reach for my phone to look at the time and then remember that it was almost Mild's birthday. Since I wasn't sleepy yet, I thought of going to her room and greet her at midnight. Grabbing her gift from my bag, I walked all the way to her room to surprise her. I knocked a few times but no one answered. She's probably asleep so I turned around, a bit disappointed, and went outside instead.

The view at night was amazing. The sky was filled with stars which were joined by the bright full moon, and the waves were washing away the footprints on the sand leaving it bare as if they weren't even there just a moment ago. I inhale the crisp evening air and feel myself relax. Walking by the shore, I see Mild by herself, seemingly lost in thought.

"Penny for your thoughts, miss?" I ask as I caught up to her. She just smiled at me and then we started walking .

"Why are you still up?" I ask her.

"Can't sleep" she answers.

"Me neither. I knocked on your door but you didn't answer so I thought you were asleep by now."

"Yeah well I just felt like going out for a bit. It was getting pretty boring in my room anyway."

We continued walking while making small talk once in awhile. I look at my phone and see that it was almost midnight.

I reach for something in my pocket and turned to her. "Close your eyes for me, will you?"

She looks pointedly at me, suspicious of what I was going to do but surrenders and indulges me.

I stand closer to her and wait a few more seconds. When the clock struck at 12mn, I held out my hand and greeted her "Happy Birthday Mild."

She opened her eyes and saw the necklace dangling from my hand.