Chapter 5

When Tay got up the next morning, he decided to immerse himself in work entirely and nothing else, like he has always done. He thought that at least that way, his mind will be occupied with more worthwhile things to think about rather than dwell on the unwanted events that took place last week. He wanted nothing more than to forget about all of it so he threw himself into whatever it was that needed to be done at the office at the expanse of tiring himself so much that when he came home, he'd be too exhausted to do anything more than sleep and when the next day came the cycle repeats itself.

Tay was particularly grouchy that week, short-tempered at meetings making everyone nervous, hyper-critical of anything submitted to him by his employees more so than necessary, even his aura when just about doing something such as simply walking through the halls was far too threatening for others that they tried stirring clear of his path as much as possible. Even Trish, Tay's secretary, was a bit perturbed by her boss's sudden change in attitude. She sensed it upon his return after his weekend trip, which she knew her boss was looking forward to, but what she thought would be a more cheerful Tay Tawan after said trip was nowhere in sight, instead is replaced by a crabby Mr. Tawan Vihokratana spreading fear wherever he goes. She dare not ask him what caused her boss's sour mood and didn't even try to go for their usual rounds of banters while working but instead just kept things professional.

Tay's friends also tried calling and messaging him several days after, probably trying to check up on him but he avoided answering back to any of them, using work as an excuse but was actually just trying to avoid talking to them altogether because he knew they'd ask questions and he didn't have the energy nor desire to talk about what happened that weekend.

It was on a Thursday afternoon when Off barged into Tay's office, two tall cups of coffee and a box of donuts in hand. Tay was busily typing away on his laptop, not even acknowledging his friend's arrival. He thought that maybe if he ignored Off long enough then he'd just up and leave Tay alone.

"Hello my friend. Miss me? Don't worry for I have come bearing gifts" Off said with a thundering voice and a big smile on his face, oblivious to Tay's scowling one, as he entered the office comically. Off handed them their respective coffees – strong hot black coffee for Tay and a sweet iced Americano for Off. He then plopped himself down on the coach, feet up and arms stretched on the couch's back rest, while he set the food that he brought down at the table. Undeterred by his friend's glares from behind his desk, Off merely sipped on his cold drink and took a bite of the delicious snack in front of him.

"What do you want now?" Tay asked while he continued to work on his laptop, his tone a bit annoyed at having been disrupted like this.

"Well I don't know. Seeing as I went all the way here to see you, then probably some of your time maybe?" Off replied sarcastically.

On any other day he might've been more forthcoming to his friend as this was a usual thing for them, Off coming to his office once in a while to just hang or talk about things, sometimes with the lads as well, spending the rest of the afternoon by themselves . But today, it seems that Tay has almost zero patience to spare for his friend who has come unannounced and seems to want some attention.

"I'm busy, Off. I don't have time for this so whatever it is that you came to say then just say it." Tay's fingers typed heavily on the keys so as to emphasize his growing annoyance at the moment.

"Gosh you and your temper. Is this how you've been treating your people here lately? Yikes pal. No wonder people are avoiding coming here to you like a plague. Even Trish out front was a bit hesitant when I passed by her earlier with her coffee." he said while continuing on munching the donuts that he brought, licking some of the jelly filling from his fingers. "Continue down this path and you'd hear nasty nicknames about you–"