Chapter 6

EARLIER THAT DAY

The sun was just about to rise and his watch read 5:30am. That was when New finally got home after covering for his friend's night shift at his part-time job at the gasoline station. He opened the door to their house and saw that the lights were still out so he tried to come in without making too much noise so as not to wake anybody up.

Dead-tired and starving, New went to their kitchen to look for some left overs to eat and on the kitchen counter, he saw a sandwich wrapped up in plastic with a note on top of it.

"For when you get home ^_^"

New was touched by the little note, knowing all too well who made it. He got the sandwich and went to his room while eating it. It wasn't much but it was enough to satiate his hunger. When he finished eating, he went to the bathroom to wash up and change and then he set his alarm for 7:00am before going to bed.

New grew up to an alcoholic and gambling father who was verbally abusive and brought on more debts everyday with his addictions and gambling. Their mother wasn't any kinder, being dismissive of New all the time and clearly always favoring his other sibling than him. New got along with his brother but was a bit reserved towards him for fear of incurring his mother's wrath or something.

His only solace was his grandmother's affection which comforted him throughout his life when he felt like he didn't have anyone in his corner. She would always comfort him when things got hard for him, became his confidant whenever he needed someone to talk to, and she would laud him for his accomplishments, no matter how small they were.

Their mother died 3 years ago from an illness and their problematic father didn't take her passing all too well. Soon after her passing, he left them and never came back. New now lives with only his grandmother and brother, and as the eldest, felt responsible to be the man of the house and provide for his family so he quit college, even though he had scholarships, and took numerous part-time jobs to earn for a living instead.

New's alarm ringed but he still felt tired as hell. His body ached but he couldn't afford to waste more time so he got up and washed up, preparing for a brand new day. When he got out of his room, he was welcomed by the aroma of the simple breakfast prepared by his Nana.

"Come now and eat" she said while bringing out the plates. He kissed her forehead and gave her a quick squeeze before sitting down and started eating. She asked about what time he got home and what he'll be doing for the day and New answered her in between quick bites.

"Slow down Newwie or you'll get sick. I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine Nana. Just a bit tired but I'll be alright", he answered with a grin. As they were talking, his brother came out and sat by their Nana's side. "Thanks for the great breakfast Nana" New got up with his backpack when he was done, ruffled his brother's hair, and gave a small peck to his Nana's cheek before he left.

 "Thanks for the great breakfast Nana" New got up with his backpack when he was done, ruffled his brother's hair, and gave a small peck to his Nana's cheek before he left