Chapter 8

Under a canopy of trees, beside a small and tranquil lake, a woman and child lay resting on a soft blanket, the little boy's head on the woman's lap while she had her back pressed against this big old tree, his eyes closed and enjoying the sweet hum of her lullaby. Her hands would gently comb his hair as she sung and she'd sometimes pat his chest trying to lull him to sleep. They were both at peace.

With his tiny hands, the boy rubbed his eyes as he started to wake, and with a small yawn, he looked up to see her face looking down on him, completely smitten and full of adoration.

"Looks like the baby is finally awake" she greets him with a soft smile. "Hello sunshine. Had a nice nap?"

He tried burying his head on her lap, pretending that he was still sleepy but he couldn't hide the smile that emerged from his face. He lied very still, obviously trying to trick her but couldn't suppress his laughter when she started tickling his sides and tummy. His happy laugh echoed around them alongside the gentle sound of nature. It was simply a lovely time.

"Baby, what do you want to be when you grow up?" she asked him as they were settling themselves back after their playful banter. The boy was playing with their hands, fully immersed by the difference in their sizes and form when she posed the question.

"Hmmm...." With his pudgy little hand under his chin, he sat back and made a thinking pose as he thought hard what to answer and she couldn't help but snicker a little at the sight of this darling boy trying to come up with a reply. "I know I know! I know what I want! I want to be like daddy! Cause daddy's so cool!" he gleefully answered.

"Yeah? Is daddy that cool? What with his cool suits and ties and big fancy briefcase?" she asked and he bobbed his little head excitedly. "Okay what else? Why do you like to be like daddy?"

"Because daddy has mommy" he answered as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. "Daddy gets to have lots of mommy's hugs and kisses and mommy's yummy foods. I want that too! I want to have lots of yummy foods too, and lots and lots of hugsies and kisses from mommy like daddy does!" the boy added.

"What else sweetie?"

"Hmmm...... Ah! And because mommy 'wuvs' daddy soooo much and I also 'wuv' mommy thiiiiiiis much" he spread his arms as wide open as he could as if to emphasize his point "so when I grow up, I want to be like daddy." He folded his arms together and gave her a smug smile, satisfied with his answer.

His innocent answer made her smile and they happily enjoyed the rest of the peaceful and serene afternoon by themselves.

Everything was perfect but then the image before him suddenly changed. The woman's face began to blur out. She stood up by herself from where they were seated and started to walk away, leaving the boy alone and confused.

"Oh? Where you going?" the boy asked for her but she didn't look back and continued walking further away. With his tiny feet, he stood up and tried to go after her.

"No wait! Come back! Where are you– Don't go!" he begged her as he ran after her but the distance between them only seemed to increase and her figure was starting to disappear from his sight. He tried reaching out his hands to her, calling her name countless times.

"NO! PLEASE STOP! DON'T LEAVE ME! PLEASE COME BACK! PLEASE!" He cried and cried but it just seemed to echo into nothingness and soon he was left there by himself. He looked around him, his tears not stopping when the darkness from the shadows engulfed him completely, hearing tiny whispers around him.