04

***

Celaines mom was working late nights at her job but this wasn't at all surprising to the girl as her mother was the secretary and needed to keep everyone in check. Celaine stayed up till oblivious hours of the night waiting for her mom to return home. But thankfully due to time zones it was still early for her friends, excluding George who was only an hour behind.

Every night they would stay up for hours playing on random servers just keeping each other company, but on this late October night the aroma around the girl was off and she could feel it.

"Guy's it's like 3am, and my mom's not home yet," the Dutch girl's voice squeaked. "She seems dedicated to her job," the less bitchy pandas retorted. "Still it's really late," she shrugged. "I think you're just overthinking," Dream responded, he was always better at the reassuring side of things.

"Just worried, she told me she hasn't been feeling well. I hope she's not overworking herself," she replied, oblivious to her mothers undergoing sickness she had developed.

"If she's not home before you wanna turn in, give her job a call," George suggested, his voice had the same nervous tone as Celaines. "Good idea," she replied, going back to focus on the game they were playing, and almost as if it were fate she heard her landline ringing. "Hold on that might be my mom," she muted herself and ran over to the phone.

"Hello?" she raised the phone to her ear. "I have to come get you," her grandmother's rich dutch accent was now filled with a sense of panic. "Oma, are you okay?" she grew deeply nervous. "Yes darling, I will be there in a few," her Oma choked slightly on her words. "Okay?," the other side of the line quickly ended the call and Celaine stood there confused as ever before walking back to her PC.

"Ceeyoulater is signing off," she announced as she put her mic on. "Your moms home?" pandas asked, "no my Oma is coming to pick me up, surprise sleepover I guess," she looked for any positive notes in this situation.

"Are you alright?" Dream asked, "why wouldn't I be?" the girl quizzed, logging out of minecraft and getting ready to tab out of the call. "Dunno, have a good night," he responded, she heard a slight hesitancy in his voice. "See you later, have a good day," she tabbed out laughing at her own play on words.

She slipped on her shoes and waited for her Oma to arrive, five minutes passing and she heard a honk outside, she quickly ran out waving to her Oma who looked devastated. "Are you okay?" she asked the woman watching as a tear strayed from her face. "Je moeder is overleden," (your mother passed away) the woman began crying, couldn't even bring herself to look over at Celaine.

The girl just stood shocked, unknowing of what to do with herself. "Oh," was all she could say.

***

Celaine turned profusely as she shook herself awake. She quickly sat up throwing her blanket off of her and cradling her knees to her chest, laying her head on her knees. She couldn't explain why but she felt the tears flood down from her face.

Her phone buzzed, and buzzed and just continuously did. But seeing the state she was in she didn't bother to look up, but she didn't want to be trapped behind her eyelids as it always led to nightmares.

Not ones that were made up but ones reciting memories she never wanted to speak about. She rubbed her eyes quickly and glanced over at a digital clock she had prompted on her desk, the time read 3:35 am. She sighed knewing she had a long night ahead of her.