Fireworks.

Summary: A family celebrates.
———————————————————————

It was a relatively lukewarm night. The stars danced in the sky as the clock ticked. Makoto and his family were relaxing on a hill. They were all wearing kimonos, laying on the grass.

"It should be starting any minute now!" Komaru chirped.

"I can't wait, I can't wait! Honey, quick, come sit next to me!" The patriarch, Akio, called out to his wife.

"Just let me get my camera first!" Makoto's mom, Yua, called out. After doing so, she did as her husband asked.

Makoto couldn't help but smile as his parents glowed with joy, and as Toko went to snuggle closer to his little sister. But what made him most happy, was the person sitting right next to him.

"Thank you again for letting me spend New Years with you and your family, Makoto." Shuichi smiled, something that warmed him to the core.

"I should be thanking you for saying yes." He responded, taking a bite of his osechi. "I would've thought you would want to be alone."

The detective chuckled softly. "Anything but having to be near my parents. Even though my uncle only died three months ago, I.. I know I shouldn't be alone right now."

At that, Makoto's eyes smiled slightly. "You can come to us anytime you need anything. Mom, dad, Komaru, and Toko are as much your family as they are mine at this point."

"Th-.. thank you, Mako. I'm ready to move on from the past, and go into the next year with you."

"Same to you, Shu-Shu."

"I-It's starting." Toko pointed out. At that, everyone looked at the sky.

Fireworks began to erupt in a plethora of rainbows, shimmering in the sky like a mesmerizing hope.

A few moments after they began, Shuichi tilted Makoto's head to look at him. Simultaneously, they both leaned in. And then, their lips met with their own hope, for a better future, a resolved past, and a loving present.

Once they spread apart, all of them looked to each other. In unison, they cried an iconic phrase that symbolized change for the better.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

———————————————————————
Happy New Year!