step seven: kill someone just for fun

"HOW long were you in detention, mr. anderson?"

cody sits calmly in his chair, his eyes shifting from the police officer in front of him to the velcro strap wrapped around his arm. it would blink a green light if the brunette boy was telling the truth, and a red one if he was telling a lie.

"i was in detention for three hours." cody finally says quietly. the light on the lie detector turns green.

the officer in front of him looks at the smaller boy with a straight face. "okay, who was there with you?"

"my stepsister, heather. and five other people. i don't know their names."

green light.

"did any of these people give you anything? any drugs or weapons?"

cody then thinks back to no less than twenty four hours ago, when he held the large knife in his small hand.

"for cody."

"no, sir." is all that he ends up saying, and his light turns green.

the officer writes something down on the notepad he's holding. after, he looks up and smiles at cody. "thank you, kid. you're free to go. can you bring your stepsister in for me?"

"sure."

cody gets up from his seat and leaves the small room he was in, searching for heather in the gym. after around a minute of searching, he finds her.

"so? how'd it go?" the tall girl asks.

"fine," the boy replies, "but he wants to see you now."

heather stands completely still, her eyes widening. "oh my God. i hope i don't say anything wrong."

"you'll be fine." cody reassures, playfully punching heather in in the arm. "besides, you were only a witness. it's not like you actually did it yourself."

______

"do you know anyone by the name of courtney castillo or noah sterecra?"

"i know of them." heather answered in a monotone voice. green light.

"were they in headmaster mclean's office while you were in detention?" the officer asks.

"yes." green light.

"did any of them ever say anything to you?"

"no. i didn't talk to anyone except my stepbrother." green light.

heather was answering the questions very quickly, and since they all came up as the truth, the officer didn't know if he should consider it a bad thing. "where were you last night, ma'am?"

"in my dorm room. studying for my chemistry test."

"so you weren't at that party last night?"

"no."

why is he asking me so many questions? heather thought, i feel like he knows.

"is this yours? we spoke to your roommate, gwendolyn, and she said it might belong to you."

the officer pulls out a pearl earring that was, in fact, heather's. the earring had an obvious blood stain on it, which made heather shudder. it fell off sometime last night, somewhere that the cops observed. the asian girl did her best not to gasp.

"no."

red light.

the officer sighs and begins to take the lie detector off of heather's arm. after doing so, he takes his receiver out and speaks into it.