step five: behead

THE trip back to the dorm buildings was not fun. the teens ran as fast as they could, except for eva and alejandro, who both had to carry an almost-passed-out person on their backs. at least duncan and izzy were both light.

fortunately for alejandro, duncan decided to hide his knife in the sleeve of his shirt, so it was already on him.

the hispanic boy lifted duncan off of his back and began to drag him by his hand up to his dorm to retrieve his knife.

in the girl's dorm building, eva did the same with izzy, and heather sprinted to her dorm room as fast as she could, her phone up to her ear.

"cody? can you hear me?!" she asked, breathing rapidly. "remember those knives we got earlier today? we need them, and we have to go back to the office."

"izzy, do you have your room key?" eva asks the redheaded girl, and she slowly pulls it out of her pocket, clearly not knowing what it was.

"no, but i have whatever this is!"

eva rolls her eyes and takes the key out of izzy's hand. they were lucky that the dorm rooms had the student's names on them, or else they'd be in trouble.

after the door opens, no roommate is to be found, which makes the process a lot easier.

"wanna help me look for a knife?"

"haha, sure." izzy quickly agrees, already looking under her bed.

after a few minutes of searching, eva finds the knife in one of izzy's shoes. as much as the raven haired girl wanted to question it, there wasn't enough time. the knife had "for isabelle" engraved into the handle, similar to everyone else's.

by the time eva and izzy are in eva's dorm room, heather is at her's, knocking rapidly on the door.

cody answers with a worried look on his face. "what's up? you sounded really worried on the phone."

the thin girl steps into her room. "there's ..."

before she begins to speak, she looks over at gwen, who has her headphones in, not paying attention to the step siblings. heather turns her attention back to cody.

"those knives that we got have something to do with those sketchy kids that we talked to earlier today in detention. they said that they put us in danger."

"so what are we supposed to do with them?" cody asks, holding the two knives up.

"one of them said to meet them at headmaster mclean's office. and we're going, because i am not getting cursed!"

"what makes you think it's a curse?" cody asks as the two leave the room. once they do, gwen takes her earbuds out and thinks to herself.

"engraved knives? i swear i've heard of that before."

she then takes the laptop in front of her and begins to type. after a few minutes of reading, she gasps.

"holy shit."

____

now that everyone else was on their way, courtney and noah paced around the passed out body of chris mclean on the wooden floor.

"it's eleven thirty and they're still not here!" noah worries, "what if they're not coming?"

"like i said earlier, they really don't have a choice." courtney replies. "wouldn't want to be them if they don't show up."

that sentence is followed by a fifteen second silence, which is interrupted by noah's phone ringing loudly, causing both of them to jump. after looking at the caller id, noah stepped away from his phone.