Chapter Ten: Return

Just as he had told her, Remus was not there for both Monday and Tuesday's classes, instead of to her disappointment it was Professor Snape who taught the class. Assigning more than double the amount of work Professor Lupin had ever given out, she and Fred spent a horrific amount of time splitting the work and completing it between the two of them. Researching about werewolves and anamagus brought them back to their 4th year of studies having to retrace through piles of dated parchment to find any sort of previous knowledge on the subject.

Though Emma and Fred had spent hours alone in silence over the course of the last few days, Fred had yet to mention anything more about the upcoming trip to Hogsmead. Emma hoped it would stay that way so she did not have to face the inevitable confrontation with her best friend. Her conversation with Darcy still lingering in the back of her thoughts when she silently agreed to herself that some things, and feelings, are better left unsaid. She thought she had almost escaped the private study session unscathed until Fred had pushed away from the parchment with a heavy sigh causing her to look at him with furrowed brows.

"I 'ought to say that is as good as it going to get, don't you think Em?" Fred leans back in the chair causing it to rock up on its back two legs, "Least we have this weekend to look forward to,"

Oh no, Emma thought, she looked at him and smiled forcefully playing her hand at how good she was at deflecting a conversation, "Yeah, I need to get some quills so good timing, oh and I'm sure Darcy will want to go to The Three Broomsticks, we always seem to find a way to get in trouble there," 

Fred smiles brightly back at her making deep indents in his cheeks as his freckled features moved in response, "Well, might be a bit odd for Darc to come on our date but I don't mind,"

Emma's heartbeat quickens instantly her mouth so slightly parted ready to respond, but the issue was is that she was unsure of how to even deflect from his words. A date, a date could mean a myriad of things. If anything she could chalk it up to a misunderstanding if it came down to it. 

She slams the book in front of her closed with a little bit too much force causing Fred to lean his chair back on all fours, leaning into the table the smile still plastered across his face.

"Did I happen to tell you that I saw Lupin the other night?" Emma remembers the advice of her friend, in an attempt to make her feelings clear without ever explicitly speaking them aloud.

Fred looks at her and purses his lips shaking his head, his brows furrowed closely together awaiting her next words.

"I uh, well. I went to his office and saw him," Emma notices Fred's eyes fall slightly at her words, 'Nothing happened, of course, I mean nothing of importance," she smiles halfheartedly at him as he leans in to listen closer.

Emma laughs slightly and rolls her eyes remembering the other night. All the other times she had run to him ready to tell him of something come rushing back as his eyes meet hers. The familiarity of the comfort in their close proximity and the unlimited trust she had for him. She quickly forgets her previous intentions of telling him about what happened but instead remembers that Fred is one of her best friends and is suddenly wanting to spill out everything to him.

"Freddie oh my god, I don't know how I haven't told my best mate yet? Well in summary one second he's got his bloody hand around my neck pressed against the door and then the next he's slamming his door closed with a massive bulge in his pants," she snorts slightly at the end her head titled back at the memory of the night.

For a brief moment, Emma felt a little bit lighter now that she had told him what had happened, something she had contemplating doing for the last few days. The weight falls right back on as soon as she sees Fred's face, his eyes widened and his mouth opens as he leans back and laughs under his breath.