Chapter One: New

Chapter 1: New

"The way she shows me I'm hers and she is mine, Open hand or closed fist would be fine

The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine."

-Cherry Wine, Hozier

Emma had been solitary her entire existence,  for as long as she could recall, it had been herself and no one else, always hopping between host families every few weeks. With no stable place of residence this meant that Emma got the lovely privilege of staying at Hogwarts over break, including the summer holiday. The past 5 summers were often spent keeping the house-elves company, passing Snape far too often in the hall for both of their likings, and laying out by the forbidden forest getting a head start on work for the upcoming school year. This summer was no different, the school quiet, only occupied by Professors, house-elves, and the occasional ghost. Going into her 7th year, she was granted permission to go to Hogsmead at her own free will after years of begging Professor McGonagall to take her on the weekends, and she reluctantly agreeing. Emma liked how empty the castle was, she found peace in the abandoned corridors, how she could hear the creaking of the whomping willow at night from the Gryffindor tower but most of all there was no one around. She had been solo her entire life, and she made no intention of changing this when she came to school, and her summers only fueled her lonely existence.

As the end of summer approaches and the dreaded migration of students hits the school in less than a week, Emma decides that one last trip to Hogsmead is the perfect way to seal off her summer. She grabs a small black bag from underneath her bed and stuffs in two of her favorite muggle books and some galleons for butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks. Hopping down the stairs of the girls dormitories, her footsteps echo back to her in the silence, only the distant sound of the fire in the common room reverberate back. She makes her way to the great hall to alert McGonagall that she will be out for the day. Opening the doors she is greeted by a nod from Dumbledore as his glasses peak over todays edition of the Daily Prophet that contains a wanted poster of Sirius Black on the front. McGonagall gives her a warm smile, setting down the newspaper in front of her as Emma approaches the head table.

"Professor, I'm going to Hogsmead for the day. Just thought I would stop by before I head out" She says, giving her a friendly smile in return.
"Miss Emma though I will not stop you from your end of summer outing please do be cautious. With Sirius Black out there, there is always room for precaution." Professor McGonagall responds casting a glance at Dumbledore. "But I do hope you are able to enjoy your time. Be back no later than 5 o'clock." She says nodding at her turning back down to read her own copy of the daily prophet.

Ever since Sirius Black escaped, it was the only conversation anyone had in the castle. Worrying about the student's protection, rumors of Dementors protecting the castle, and the constant discussion of protecting Harry Potter. Frankly, Emma never understood the fascination with Harry. Yes, he had a fascinating childhood and an important part in wizarding history, but the poor boy was just trying to live life as a normal kid and no one would ever allow him to. She grew fond of him after helping him and a few of his friends with one of Snapes' dreaded papers. She saw how desperately he wanted to be normal, but could never escape his childhood.

Giving one last wave, she walks out the Great Hall and down the corridor pushing the door open out to the courtyard and is greeted by a warm breeze. Taking in the beauty of her home for the last 7 years, she only now reflects on how much she is going to miss it after she graduates.