Chapter Nine: Tension in the Quarters

AN:
Hi all! So sorry it has taken me so long to write this next chapter, i wanted to make sure that I had all that I wanted in it! I also want to say thank you so much for 500 reads and all the love on this story! As you may have noticed I have decided to change the title of the book. I've been thinking about it since I wrote the first few chapters and figured that its time! So..... the new titled is

"Cherry Wine"

If you are unfamiliar, Cherry Wine is a song by Hozier that every time I hear reminds me of Remus Lupin. I see it as a song him and Emma
would dance to in his office super late one night after they were up talking about life and drank a little too much firewiskey. Ever since I've heard it I cannot get it out of my head, so I thought might as well change it to reflect the story and share it with you.
If anyone is interested I have a very extensive playlist on Apple Music of all the songs that remind me of Remus and its the one I listen to

when I write! Its linked in the first chapter <3

Also I know this is odd, but there is a smell I describe in this chapter and is literally the Mahogany Balsam candle from Bath and Body Works....

shoutout to Kel Kel for naming this chapter and happy 21st birthday! This chapter is for you.....

Enjoy this extra long chapter everyone!
Oh and 18+.... hehe

Chapter Nine

Determined to take the advice given to her by Darcy, Emma finds her way to Professor Lupin's private office and quietly whispers the password under her breath making the door swing open abruptly. With far too much enthusiasm Emma walks in to see an empty room, with no sign of Remus anywhere. A half finished cup of tea sat at the end of the desk, looking as though it had been sitting for hours as the milk drifts across the top slowly. A lit fireplace fills the room with warmth, on its last ends of dying out any second. She frowns to herself realizing she won't get to test her new boldness on her most intriguing subject, she instead decides to look for the study notes Harry had mentioned previously.

Walking over to the desk that is piled high with unmarked 1st year papers and several books flipped open, she starts rummaging through the piles to find what she came for. Plopping herself down on the chair that is typically occupied by Remus, she starts to open files labeled study guides flipping through each paper. Emma hums slightly under her breath enjoying the peace of his office and the faint smells of a thick forest filled with fog and the rich scent of oak and musk fill the air.

She must have gone through ten files before she found one that stood out in particular that had no label unlike the rest of them which were all clearly marked  and this one had seen its better days. Just as she had done with all the past folders she skims through the stack of miscellaneous papers of old students works, when a picture slips out from between two pages falling perfectly in her lap.

Setting down the mess of papers in front of her, she bring the picture closer to her to examine the faces wondering which one of them would be Remus. This picture seemed more recent to her as she immediately recognized Remus who could have only been a decade younger than he was now standing at the back of a group of 20 towering over everyone effortlessly. Scanning the group even closer she noticed Molly and Arthur next to a couple who looked an awful lot like Neville Longbottom. She stops on the only other couple in the picture that were holding each other closely and smiling at the camera. Emma immediately recognized the pair to be Harry Potter's parents with him being a spitting image of both of them.

Emma glides her finger going from person to person trying to see if she had been able to recognize anyone else. Eventually stopping on every single face she brings her attention back to Remus whose smiling slightly and has his armed wrapped around someone's shoulder. The man wasn't looking at the camera and she could only make out a brief second of his face as he turned towards the camera at the last second. She brings the picture in even closer, her eyes squinted in focus swearing she had seen this man somewhere before. At the last second, she can see the mans eyes and makes contact with his for a split second. Emma's eyes narrow as her heart quickens and she carefully places the picture back in the folder as if it would shatter if she wasn't careful.