Chapter Five: Fred

Emma groaned as the sun peaked through the curtains, casting rays against her face forcing her to get out of bed. There was still a few hours before the first class but she decided to get up earlier than usual and get ready for the day. Taking her time on her makeup and slipping on her full uniform and robe, she brushed through her blonde locks so they fell just below her shoulders in soft waves. Taking one last look in the mirror, she skipped down the steps into the common room.

Walking in, she was surprised to see Fred laying back on the couch one arm behind his head and the other draped across the top of the couch his eyes shut. He must have heard her come in because as soon as she reached the bottom step, he craned his head to look at her and smiled. Fred knew that Emma always woke up with the sun, ever since he noticed this about her he vowed to wake up with her so she would never be alone. He grew to liking his early rise and especially liked the idea of being the first face she saw every morning.

"Mornin Em, late night last night?" He chuckled, as Emma came over and plopped herself down next to him.

"Actually kind of, I was talking to Professor Lupin and I guess time just got away," she shrugged, setting down her books on the table in front of them, with the fire roaring filling the immediate space with a comfortable warmth.

She noticed him shift in his spot at the mention of Lupin, "Oh. That's right, uh so. What did you guys talk about, just out of curiosity?" he gave a half-hearted smile.

"Nothing really, I mean we just talked about what happened and agreed that it was inappropriate. But that's it," Emma said meeting his smile with her own.

Fred's mood almost changed instantly when she clarified the status of their relationship, "Well that's good, I mean for your sake. Would be bloody awkward for you two if you know didn't talk about it."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," she said fiddling with her buttons on her shirt, Emma shifts her body to face Fred looking at him directly, "Fred, can I tell you something?"

"Yeah of course Em. You know that you can tell me anything, what's wrong?" Fred said, his heart starting to race as he met her eye contact. He desperately wanted to hear all of the words that he longed to watch fall from her lips, he wanted to be her forever but he always been pushed into the shadows.

"Freddie last night with Lupin, it was so odd. I can't put my finger on it, but something felt different," Emma said her eyebrows furrowing with confusion, "I mean it was a good different. But it felt like I had known him for my entire life like I could tell him anything,"

Fred looked at her, wishing that these words were about him but instead was met by the inevitable, "I mean Emma you are probably just stuck on what happened, you just have to move on. Actually I reckon I have the perfect cure," he smiled mischievously, as Emma's gaze shifted to utter confusion, "We've been planning a party this Saturday in the Prefects bathroom. Way to tip off the school year."

Hopeful that blowing off some steam would shift her memory elsewhere she happily obliged to Fred's invitation, "Yeah, thanks to Freddie, that sounds fun," she smiled, bring him in for a hug and she felt him stiffen under her touch before returning her affection, "Want to come to the Great Hall with me for breakfast?" Emma retorts, pulling back to look at him. She notices something off in his expression but dismisses it immediately.

'Yeah, let me go see if George is up. Meet you there?"

"Sounds good. Usual spot Freddie." Emma responds, standing up to smooth her normal length skirt and grabbing the stack of books with her wand sitting on top.