𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚗 𝚖𝚎 𝚒𝚖 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝

a bit of a longer chapter! some world building :p hope you enjoy my loves!
-
-
-
i wake up to emme shaking me awake frantically.

"jamie. jamie!" they whisper, shaking me harder.

i jolt awake, giving them a dirty look for waking me up from my peaceful nap. i snap out of it in just a moment though, my brain returning to reality and realizing my shift at the children's hospital was probably VERY soon.

i groan, giving them a nod and a kiss on the cheek before checking the time. it was a good thing they had woken me up, i had about an hour before my shift and i hadn't even showered yet.

i bolt up from the couch, making my way to the bathroom as quickly as i could on my wounded legs. i flip on the light and close the door, not bothering to lock it.

i turn on the shower, stripping myself of my clothes and stepping in, allowing the steaming water to run down my spine. i shiver slightly at the contact, the water relaxing my spine and aching legs from being on my feet in the café all morning.

i scrub my vanilla shampoo into my hair, pulling my hands through the knots gently and sighing, watching the suds go down the drain. i wash my body quickly with a matching body wash, running some lavender sugar scrub over my skin and rinsing it off.

i step out of the shower, drying myself off with my towel hanging on the door and using my lavender lotion to top off my shower routine. i wrap my towel around myself and waddle off to my room, closing the door behind me as i dress myself in new undergarments and my scrubs and pull my converse on.

i check my phone for the time again, i had about ten minutes to spare before i had to actually leave, so i return to the bathroom, moisturizing my face and applying a bit of eyeliner and mascara. i brush through my hair and decide not to pull it back, since it was already short as it was.

i shove my phone into my pocket and make my way back to the front door, grabbing my bag and yelling a fast 'goodbye' at emme.

i walk out to my car. the rain had subsided by then, and i slightly frown at the pavement that i had slipped on. i unlock my car and hop in, starting it and turning on my music.

i pull out of the lot to "lonely eyes" by the front bottoms. i hum along softly to the song as i watch the buildings fly by. i glance at the pedestrians.

some couple walking with their child holding each of their hands, a couple of young girls giggling and pointing at their phones.

people watching had always been a big thing of mine. it explained why i had such a good perception of people's feelings. i forget the streets around me as the song comes to a close, and changes to "destroyed by hippie powers" by car seat headrest. i smile at the familiar rhythm and finish my drive to the children's hospital.

i shut off my car after parking in my designated spot, doing the usual routine of shutting off the car and walking inside. i check in at the front desk and greet my co-workers.

i pull my name-tag over my head, making sure it was showing clearly. it read my name and pronouns, and had a few stickers my children had made for me, including a pin of the pansexual flag that an older kid gifted me,  and a few sparse video-game characters that they'd drawn for me and i'd managed to attach to my card. i knew most of them, so it was cute to see the kids' reaction when i talked with them about their favorite things and games.

my job was hard, but it paid off. the kids' smiles were all the pay i needed. not to mention it was pushing me closer and closer to my degree in pediatrics.

i check my schedule, memorizing the route id have to take to reach all my kids on my shift.

i stop by vincent's room first. vincent was a young boy, five. one of the youngest we had in our wing. i pull on my mask and knock on his door before entering, watching vincent smile as i walk in.

"jamie!!" he yelps, reaching his arms out to me.

i walk over to the boy slowly, wrapping him gently in a hug, careful to avoid all his wires. and give him a masked kiss on the forehead.

"hello vincent!" i greet, taking a seat on the end of his bed. i click my pen, ready to write his status on my clipboard. vincent suffered from polio. he came from a terrible home, who hadn't allowed him to get the vaccinations he needed to avoid the disease in childhood. his conditions were steadily improving however, so i was permitted to be this close to him, with my proper medical gear of course.

"how are you doing today, kiddo?" i ask him, raising an eyebrow in his direction.

he shrugs, smiling. "i've been feeling a lot better lately miss jamie! my tummy still hurts, but i can't feel the other stuff anymore!" he concludes, and i grimace under my mask. he couldn't feel the pain because the paralysis had finally hit his lower body, full force, and he was chock-full of painkillers anyways.

"that's so good vincent! i'm so glad you're feeling better!" i say, cheerfully. his condition really did seem to be improving, despite his disease ridden state.

"is there anything i can get you before i move on to my next room, love?" i ask him, and his eyes light up. he smiles, looking around the room.

"can you turn on my music miss jamie? please!" he asks, and i nod, giving him a thumbs up and walking toward the radio. some song comes through the speaker i'd never heard before, but the voice singing sounded familiar. vincent claps his hands together, "i love this song!! it plays all the time! i love his music." he exclaims, and i laugh, agreeing that i love the song.

i give him another swift hug and a goodbye before exiting the room, moving onto my other patients.

by the time i get off my shift, i want nothing more than to go home and pass out in my bed. i pull out of the lot at 2:47 am. my shift ended at 11, but one of my kids needed some extra help today, because her condition was slowly spiraling out of control. she was an older teen, suffering from bipolar disorder. she hadn't left her bed for weeks, but now she was screaming and banging on the walls, and needed to be transferred to a safer room for her.

i had spent the extra hours helping move her, and talking her down from her mania. the poor girl couldn't help it, and half the time the staff didn't understand. so i specialized in helping her and the other patients struggling with similar mental health problems.

i groan, the hunger in my stomach growing more and more apparent as i traveled down the dimly lit streets of brighton.

i pull into a macdonald's, parking and wandering inside. i place my order at the counter and find myself an empty table, waiting for my number to be called.

"now what's a pretty girl like you doing here so late at night?" a voice asks from behind me, and i furrow my brow, ready to put on the mean act.

"not fucking interested dude. piss off." i shoot, not looking at the man behind me.

"owch. that one hurt jamie, i'm pained." the voice chuckles, and i turn, meeting eyes with guitar boy himself.