𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚐𝚘𝚝 𝚖𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚠

cw: mature themes (no smut! they're just dancing,,n a lil bit of kissing! it's near the end, but most of this chapter is important to the plot so i don't recommend skipping it^^)

"jamie?" he asks, a hint of happiness flashing in his hazel eyes.

"hello wilbur." i greet, taking a seat beside him. i take a moment to assess the man in front of me. this wasn't the same man that i'd seen a week ago. this version of him was tired. and moody. his eyes were hazier than usual, and the bags under them were a prominent shade of lavender.

the skin of his lips were peeling, but only in a certain spot. it must be another one of his nervous habits, biting his lip. his hands gripped loosely around the glass of whiskey in his hands, almost as if he didn't really want to be drinking it.

"what brings you here?" he asks, quirking an eyebrow in my direction. damn, he was good. any hint of tiredness in his eyes left as soon as he began speaking.

"my birthday is tonight. my friends and i came out partying." i explain, giving him and up-down glance. he wore skinny jeans and his classic converse, in a sweatshirt this time, with a flower embroidered on the left breast.

"happy birthday, pretty girl." he congratulates. "may i buy you a drink?" he asks, giving me his breathtaking smile.

"i'm about 15 shots and a few mixed drinks deep already," i admit, smiling with my heavy eyes. "if i take one more drop i think i might not remember tonight." i laugh, and he shakes his head.

"what brings you here, wilbur?" i return his question, and watch the gears in his brain decide what answer to give me.

after a moment, he finally responds with "long week." and i nod.

"haven't seen you around at all. i was starting to get worried, pretty boy." i say, my tone faltering into something more serious.

"please don't ever worry about me. cant get rid of me that easy." he jokes, tipping his head back and downing the entire glass of whiskey. he passes his cup back to the bartender, allowing her to give him a refill.

i observe as he swishes the glass around silently. watching the liquid hit the sides of the cup and then fall back down. i notice his fingers tapping against the glass with a sort of urgency, like he was thinking about something, but i couldn't pinpoint what. none of his body language signified that i was making him nervous, yet none of it told me he wanted to move closer to me either. wilbur kept a safe distance in his barstool. he confused me, but it was a good confusing.

"has anyone ever told you that you're hard to read, mister soot?" i ask, slurring part of my sentence slightly. the haze over my mind grew the more i talked. before he can get a word in, i complete my explanation.

"take a look at that girl over there," i say, pointing to some girl leaning into a man across the bar. "every part of her body language signifies that she wants him. i wouldn't be surprised if she leaves the bar with him tonight. notice the way her eyes scan him. the way she's leaning over so her dress shows just enough cleavage to make him go nuts." i continue on, pointing out each detail physically as i explain to wilbur what i was seeing. "but you, wilbur? you're different. nothing about you stays the same for long, besides your nervousness."

"no matter how close i lean to you," i mumble, just loud enough for him to hear as i copy the actions of the girl across the bar. "or how i change my tone to sound more enticing to you," i add, leaning into his ear and smoothing my voice out. "you never falter. your eyes stay where they're supposed to. and your eyes never show a hint of passion." i conclude, leaning back into my stool and crossing my legs.

his face is painted with shock, confusion, and maybe a hint of longing. and yet his eyes stay locked with mine. his hands remain on his glass, and his face is colored with a light rose tint.

"you have no idea how hard you make this, jamie." he groans, putting his head in his hands.

"how hard i make what, wilbur?" i inquire, my innocent act rolling off my tongue.

"not getting attached. not wanting to find you every day of my life and watch that smile. and listen to your voice." he grumbles, and i feel my face heat up even more than it already had.

"shut your mouth." i respond half- sarcastically. i didn't want to fall in love with this man. i would ruin him. i would ruin his perfect smile, and his honey coated voice. i couldn't remember half of the conversation we just had. i felt so stupid. why did this have to happen now?

"make me." he jokes, and i do, grabbing him by the chin and pulling him forward. i don't let our lips touch, instead let them barely graze, his whiskey-soaked breath flooding my senses.

after a moment, his eyes flutter down to my lips, but he pulls away. "and still, you keep your self control. if you were any other guy i'd be in an uber, half undressed by now." i sigh, and he shakes his head, his face pulled into a tight expression of thought.

"you're a tough one to break, wilbur." i complain, and he scoffs.

"dance with me, jamie letterman?" he asks, and i nod, allowing him to lead me by the hand to the floor. the music hits the walls of my ribs and bounces around, making me dizzy.

i press my back against wilburs stomach, my hands reaching up to pull his head down toward me.

"i can't do this jamie." he mumbles, his hands just barely touching my waist.

"and why not?" i return, pressing my hips back against his and hearing his breathing hitch. his heart races against my back as he leans into my ear, shaking slightly.

"i'll hurt you. i'm not the guy you think i am." he whispers in my ear, and i shake my head. "you know nothing about me, besides my name." he informs me, and i realize it's true. i had no idea who this man really was. the thought made me shiver, and i press myself into him a bit harder, one of my legs slipping back between his.

"i don't care who you are." i resolve, leaning my head up toward his, letting our eyes meet.

"you're a bad liar, jamie." he teases, his hands gripping my hips harder now, guiding my movements.

"and yet you're giving in." i tease, my hand running along his jawline slowly. i feel him swallow the lump in his throat, and in a brief second of weakness, he leans down, and our lips meet.

he moves his mouth in sync with mine with a sort of urgency, like it was the first and last time he'd ever get to kiss me. i feel his tongue brush against my bottom lip and my legs threaten to give out beneath me, i let out a whine into his mouth, and he pulls away.

"you won't remember any of this jamie. and yet i will, do you know how hard it will be for me to keep my control when i see you after tonight?" he hisses in my ear, and i shiver, my eyes meeting his hazel ones once again.

"who says i want you to keep your control?" i ask, my lips curling up in a mischievous grin. i roll my hips back once more, and he freezes, his breathing growing heavier,

"if only for the night, i'm yours, wilbur soot." i offer, and he seems to take me up on it immediately, our hips separating as he drags me toward the door of the bar, stepping out into the freezing air.