Chapter 4

Flamepaw happily trotted along in the RiverClan forest beside Barkpaw. Up ahead were Duskpelt and Rosepettle, both of whom led the way through the colorful woods. Flamepaw glanced around excitedly, for the first time not feeling a sense of fear.

Since her discussion with Mothwing, Flamepaw felt a lot safer and secure. Her dreams had casually faded into nothingness, instead being replaced with dreams of becoming a warrior or better yet, leader of RiverClan.

Flamepaw was glad these visions were no longer haunting her, and she knew that even though Korosu was out there, she'd be ready to take her is time. With the nightmares gone, she'd been able to easily adjust back to training with Duskpelt and found her battle moves steadily improving. She guessed she'd be a warrior in no time!

Today, Duskpelt and Rosepettle had decided on practicing some battle moves together with the two apprentices. The entire way to their destination, Flamepaw had been teasing Barkpaw about how she'd be able to take him easily during the training, to which Barkpaw replied he'd also been improving in his training.

"We're here," Duskpelt said at last, stepping into the clearing of the forest. Flamepaw bounced with excitement and leapt to her mentor's side while Barkpaw went and stood by Rosepettle.

"What's the plan?" Barkpaw asked his mentor.

"You two will be demonstrating what you've learned so far in battle training," Duskpelt explained, his voice booming through the clearing. "Both of you have come far in your training, and both Rosepettle and I thought it'd be a good idea for you to demonstrate what you've learned to each other. However, this is a safe battle, so claws sheathed and no biting. I don't want to see a speck of blood, understand?"

Both Flamepaw and Barkpaw nodded, clearly aware of the rules of their fight.

"When you're ready, you may begin," Rosepettle declared.

Flamepaw nodded, facing her opponent. Barkpaw stood, his chest puffed out wide. He apparently seemed pretty confident he'd win this fight. Before he could move, however, Flamepaw shot at him and knocked him over.

Barkpaw yowled, shouting, "I wasn't ready! Start over!"

"There is no starting over in battle," Rosepettle teased as Flamepaw held Barkpaw down.

Barkpaw growled and with his muscular limbs, knocked Flamepaw over. Flamepaw immediately stood up, dodging the tom as he lunged at her. Flamepaw leapt over the tom and landed on the opposite side of him, beginning to circling him. Barkpaw leapt again, this time hitting Flamepaw with accuracy.

Flamepaw yelped as she felt the impact of Barkpaw against her. In an instant, he had her pinned down. Fortunately, Flamepaw was prepared for this moment, and so she clawed at his belly with her paws. Barkpaw giggled and released her, allowing Flamepaw to pin him once again and stand over him in triumph.

"All right, that's enough!" Duskpelt called, ending the fight.

"Flamepaw wins!" Rosepettle declared.

Barkpaw grumbled to himself as he rose to his feet and wiped the dirt from his pelt. Despite his loss, he still turned to Flamepaw, saying, "Good job."

"You did well too," Flamepaw told Barkpaw.

"Both of you did well," Duskpelt explained. "And both of you still need work. But for now, let's return back to the clan."

Agreeing to this, the four began to make their way out of the forest as the sun began to set behind them. Flamepaw's stomach growled, and she longed for a tasty fish to munch on upon her return.

"Are you as hungry as I am?" Flamepaw asked Barkpaw.

"Starving," Barkpaw replied in exasperation.