Chapter 36

Flameclaw's kits had been warriors for a little over a moon now. It was nice to have them close to her again, though she knew it would never compare to the closeness she felt with them in the nursery as kits.

After successfully completing their night vigil, her kits had chosen nests relatively close to their parents as they were not yet familiar with the other warriors. Flameclaw noticed the nervousness of her kits at first as they took on warrior duties, but soon, they began to settle in and act more comfortable.

It made her proud to see her kits go out on patrol and bring back pieces of fresh prey for the clan. She knew they were doing well in SnowClan, and she was glad to see them prospering as warriors. Flameclaw too enjoyed her warrior life alongside with Barkfern, and for once, the pain of RiverClan did not strike at her. She felt like she was finally able to let go.

At times, Flameclaw's mind often wandered into the possibility of having a second litter, but Flameclaw often shook these thoughts away. She was content with her life and her family. While she had enjoyed raising her kits, she still remembered the annoyance of being confined in the nursery. As a warrior of SnowClan, she felt like she truly belonged. She had always wanted to be a warrior, not a nursery queen, and so she decided this would be the life for her.

She could not say the same for her kits. She knew it would only be a matter of time before they too took on mates of their own and began to raise their own families. Her kits were still very close with their nursery playmates, and she suspected some of them might become mates in the near future.

Flameclaw sat outside with Barkfern one morning, sharing a piece of prey, when she noticed Cloudstar padding up the top of the rock.

"Cloudpaw, Ripplepaw, and Hazelpaw are being made warriors today," Barkfern explained when Flameclaw glanced at him in confusion.

"Oh! Are they?" she asked, suddenly excited. She knew very well that the reason none of her kits had mates yet was because their close friends were still apprentices. She began to squirm excitedly, thinking of her kits raising their own families.

"What are you doing?" Barkfern asked.

"Just thinking," Flameclaw purred.

"Goldnose told me all about the warrior ceremony yesterday," Barkfern explained. "He seemed very excited."

"I think he's excited for Hazelpaw to become a warrior," Flameclaw suggested.

Barkfern chuckled. "I think so, too. Though I never really saw him as having mates and kits on his mind."

Flameclaw shrugged. "Things change when you get older. I certainly didn't plan to become mates with you or have kits so quickly."

Barkfern laughed. "I guess you're right. I'm glad everything worked out. Imagine if you'd had the litter in the forest."

Flameclaw's eyes widened. "Oh, I don't know what I'd have done! But I like SnowClan now. I'm really happy here, Barkfern."

"I'm glad," he replied, his eyes gleaming. "I am too."

Flameclaw purred and licked his cheek just as Cloudstar began.

"ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY, JOIN BENEATH THE HIGH ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!" he yowled.

Flameclaw followed Barkfern over to the rock, noticing that her kits were already stationed in the front. They too seemed to be squirming with excitement.

Flameclaw turned her head to see the three apprentices padding up the rock. They had grown so much. Flameclaw remembered when they had been born in the nursery shortly after the birth of her own kits. My, how time had flown.

As the three apprentices came to a halt beside Cloudstar, the crowd slowly quieted, and Cloudstar began to speak.

"I call upon my warrior ancestors to look upon these apprentices. They have trained hard to follow your noble code, and I grant them to you as warriors in return. Cloudpaw," he began, turning to the large white tom.

Cloudpaw took a step forward, his muscles flexed.

"From this day forward, you shall be known as Cloudwind," Cloudstar announced.

Cloudwind smiled and waved at the crowd down below.

"Ripplepaw," Cloudstar continued. The silver tabby tom stepped forward. He was more timid than Cloudwind and glanced down at his paws.

"From this day forward, you shall be known as Rippleslash. And Hazelpaw," he said, turning to brown she-cat. "From this day forward, you shall be known as Hazelstream."

"CLOUDWIND! RIPPLESLASH! HAZELSTREAM!" the clan cried. Flameclaw and Barkfern cried with them. Though they were not her own kits, Flameclaw felt a connection to them and was glad to see them as warriors.

As the crowds began to disperse, Flameclaw meant to seek out her kits, but she found them already preoccupied as they chatted away with their friends.

"We can talk to them later," Barkfern suggested.

"Sh. Wait," she said. She hadn't meant to spy, but it appeared all of them were speaking in quiet and intimate conversations with the others. Could it be?

Finally, her kits dispersed and padded away happily. Before Flameclaw could even approach any of them, Goldnose bounded up to his parents.

"I've asked Hazelstream to be my mate, and she said yes!" Goldnose exclaimed. "Isn't that great?!"

Flameclaw smiled. "I'm happy for you, Goldnose."

"I thought you wanted to be a tough warrior, huh? No time for a mate and kits," Barkfern teased.

"I-I didn't say anything about kits," Goldnose responded, blushing slightly. "But I am happy to have a mate."

"Where are your sisters?" Flameclaw asked. "I wanted to speak to them too."

"Over there," Goldnose responded, pointing to the two of them sitting near the fresh-kill pile. They appeared to be chatting excitedly, and their voices were high and screechy.

Flameclaw padded over to them and had to speak loudly to interrupt their conversation.

"Hello, girls," she spoke loudly.

They spun around, frightened at first, then relieved to see it was only their mother.

"Oh, hi," Snowripple purred.

"You two seem very happy," Barkfern observed.

"Cloudwind has asked Snowripple to be his mate," Daisyfern purred. Snowripple glanced away, embarrassed.

"And Rippleslash has asked Daisyfern to be his!" Snowripple responded.

Daisyfern rolled her eyes and shoved her sister.

"Congratulations, you two," Flameclaw purred.

"I can't wait to have a mate and kits!" Snowripple exclaimed.

"I made it very clear to Rippleslash that I don't want kits," Daisyfern explained. "A mate will already distract me from my warrior duties."

"We'll see," Flameclaw teased. She had not expected to have kits so early. Perhaps Daisyfern would change her mind.

She and Barkfern congratulated the kits one last time and headed back to the warrior den. Flameclaw smiled, glad to see her kits adjusting well to clan life.