Chapter 25

Flamepaw awoke early in the morning, the previous day's memories still flooding through her mind. She had made sure to enjoy her last day with Mothwing, and looking back on the day, she knew she had accomplished this. She, Barkpaw, and Mothwing had chatted happily about their future and had reminisced on RiverClan in general all day, even stopping to rest and have some fun along the way. Flamepaw smiled at the thought of this.

Beside her, Barkpaw began to stir, and Flamepaw let out a sigh, knowing that as soon as everyone awoke, it would be time to depart. She glanced forward at Mothwing, who still slept, her calico tail drooped around her pale nose.

Flamepaw hoped she'd run into Mothwing again some day. Perhaps then Mothwing could meet her kits and tell her of all the exciting adventures she'd had.

"Flamepaw, are you awake?" Barkpaw whispered. He no longer was lying down but was instead crouching next to her, being careful not to be too loud.

Flamepaw nodded her head slowly and rose.

"We'll have to leave soon," Barkpaw told her.

"We should at least enjoy breakfast first," Flamepaw suggested. Barkpaw nodded and went off in search of food.

By the time he had returned, Mothwing had just risen, and she lazily padded over to the two squirrels Barkpaw had caught, a look of admiration on her face.

"Sorry for sleeping in. I know I'm normally catching prey in the morning," Mothwing said.

"Don't be. Barkpaw was fine getting us some food. Besides, we'll have to get used to it now," Flamepaw said, her voice taking on a more somber tone in the last few words.

Mothwing smiled weakly, and together, they sat and ate their meal together. Flamepaw kept glancing over at Mothwing, images of the young she-cat rushing through her head. She recalled their time in the nursery together, when she and Mothwing went to get herbs, and so much more. She couldn't forget the quest to find Goldstar either though she supposed the quest had been a failure anyway. RiverClan was gone.

Flamepaw ate slowly, trying to delay their departure, but eventually, there was no more meat to eat or pick at, and she was forced to give in.

"I think we're about ready to go," Barkpaw announced, having finished his share of the squirrel much earlier than Flamepaw.

Flamepaw slowly rose to her feet too, her enlarged belly swaying slightly. Mothwing stared at both at them and smiled.

"Well, I suppose this is good-bye," she said.

Flamepaw felt tears gathering in her eyes.

"You can visit us anytime you like," Flamepaw offered. "It'd be lovely if you came to SnowClan."
Mothwing smiled weakly. "I'm not sure if I'll ever be in the vicinity, but if I am, I'll be sure to stop by. I wish both of you the best of luck, and I hope the delivery goes well. Your kits will be beautiful," she told both Flamepaw and Barkpaw.

"Good luck to you as well," Barkpaw said.

"May StarClan grant you safety," Flamepaw told her friend.

"Hopefully this isn't good-bye forever," Mothwing mewed. Flamepaw rushed to her side and nuzzled her, not wishing to leave her friend. But it had to be.

Mothwing turned in one direction and Flamepaw and Barkpaw in the other. They all waved their tails good-bye and spun around. As Flamepaw went off with Barkpaw off to SnowClan, she glanced back one last time, catching her last glimpse of her friend before they headed off.