Chapter 27

After the ceremony had ended, Flameclaw was led by Smokestar to the medicine cat den to meet the medicine cat and apprentice who would be caring for her for the remainder of her pregnancy. Smokestar paused at the entrance of the den and smiled.

"We have very kind medicine cats here. I hope you'll like them," he told her.

"I hope so, too," Flameclaw replied.

Smokestar then entered the den, Flameclaw following behind. Inside was a cream colored she-cat organizing herbs. Next to her was a calico she-cat, apprentice age, who seemed to be helping to pull a thorn out of another apprentice's paw.

"Spottedmask, there's someone I'd like you to meet," Smokestar called.

The cream she-cat turned her gaze toward Flameclaw and smiled warmly.

"You must be Flameclaw," she said, approaching her. It only took one glance at Flameclaw for the medicine cat to remark on her pregnancy.

"And my, aren't you pregnant! These kits will be due soon," Spottedmask remarked.

Flameclaw nodded.

"Is it all right if I leave her here with you?" Smokestar asked. "I've got some business to attend to."

"Not at all. I'll see her to the nursery myself."

"Thank you. Good luck, Flameclaw," Smokestar said. The spotted tom waved good-bye and exited, leaving Flameclaw alone in the medicine cat den.

"Well, I'm Spottedmask," the she-cat explained. "And the calico over there is my apprentice, Tawnypaw."

"Hello!" Tawnypaw squeaked. She seemed to be almost complete with her work.

"Hello. Nice to meet you," Flameclaw replied. The two seemed to be very nice, but her heart throbbed slightly, wishing it was Mothwing here with her and not an unknown she-cat.

"Is it all right if I inspect you briefly?" Spottedmask asked.

Flameclaw nodded, standing awkwardly as Spottedmask gazed at her swollen belly, poking at it slightly.

"I'd say these kits will be due in less than a half moon," she announced.

"How many are there?" Flameclaw wondered.

"It is hard to tell now," Spottedmask replied. "But I would say there is definitely more than one."
Flameclaw nodded, remembering how Mothwing had told her the same.

"Is that tom who came with you the father?" Tawnypaw asked as the wounded apprentice finally left the den.

Flameclaw nodded, blushing slightly.

"Well, I do hope you'll like it here in SnowClan. Your kits will receive proper care, I assure you."

"That's good to hear," Flameclaw replied.

"It's good you came here before the kits were born. I'll be giving you some herbs to eat to help you make milk," Spottedmask said. She fished through some herbs and handed some to Flameclaw. "And it's best you start now."

Flameclaw nodded and did her best to eat the bitter herb.

"You better get used to that flavor. There will be more," Spottedmask advised her after noticing the disgust on Flameclaw's face.