Chapter 35

Another few moons had passed, and in that time, Flameclaw had noticed great change. Her kits were growing and maturing rapidly. Goldnose had grown taller than her, and her daughters were growing more beautiful each day.

She especially noticed the skill of her kits. They became more and more involved in their training and were soon hunting and fighting as well as her, she supposed. It had been amazing to witness such a change. She was glad to see them go through a normal apprenticeship.

And now her kits' warrior ceremony was upon them, or so she believed. She knew when she awoke that it would be the day of her kits' warrior test. She had prayed early to StarClan hoping that they receive good luck on their tests.

Nervous yet excited for what the day may bring, Flameclaw awoke earlier than Barkfern, longing to see her kits to wish them good luck before their test. She found them gathered around the fresh-kill pile, though none of them seemed to be touching a morsel.

Flameclaw approached them cheerfully, watching as their eyes lit up as they saw their mother.

"Mother! You came to see us!" Daisypaw exclaimed happily.

Flameclaw smiled and nodded. Her kits had grown away from calling her "Mama" and now referred to her as "Mother."

"I wanted to wish you luck before your test," she told them. "Not that I think you'll need it."

She watched them all grumble with anxiousness.

"I've seen you three improve and work well these past six moons. I have the highest faith that you'll succeed," she promised.

"But what if we don't?" Snowpaw whimpered.

"There will always be other opportunities, but I'm sure you'll all do well."

"Thanks," Goldpaw replied.

Their mentors called them shortly after. Flameclaw watched as they ran off and smiled lightly. In a way, she almost didn't want them to become warriors. She still wished they'd remain her tiny kits. But she knew time had a way of changing things.

She went off and found Barkfern, who agreed also that the kits would surely pass their warrior evaluation.

When afternoon rolled around, Flameclaw waited with anticipation to hear if her kits truly would be becoming warriors. As she sat out in camp, she watched as her kits' mentors approached the leader's den.

Flameclaw's paws twitched with anticipation. She turned her attention to the den, where Cloudstar sat aside. The previous leader, Smokestar, had died only a moon or so before. His death had confused Flameclaw as he'd been killed by an evil Dark Forest spirit that was said to have haunted SnowClan moons before. She had known this spirit, named Moonstar, had been growing stronger, though she hoped it wouldn't interfere with her or her kits.

As the mentors re-emerged from their dens, Flameclaw wanted to shriek with joy as she watched Cloudstar follow behind them. The white tom padded up the top of the rock where he let out a loud yowl.

"ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY, JOIN BENEATH THE ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!"

Flameclaw found Barkfern immediately.

"They must've done well," Barkfern observed.

Flameclaw nodded vigorously, happy for her kits. She watched as her three kits bounded up the rock, just as they'd done for their apprentice ceremony. They all smiled happily. Flameclaw smiled back at them, her heart swelling with pride.

"I have just heard from the mentors of these three, and they believe that their apprentices are ready to become warriors," Cloudstar began. He glanced around, and a sharp silence fell over the crowd.

"I call upon my warrior ancestors to look upon these three apprentices. They have trained hard to follow your noble code, and I grant them to you as warriors in return. Goldpaw," he began.

Flameclaw watched as her son took a step forward. He was tall and muscular, like his father, and his golden pelt gleamed in the sunlight.

"From this day forward, you shall be known as Goldnose. Daisypaw," Cloudstar continued, turning to the gray tabby.

Daisypaw stepped forward nervously, though her smile was wide.

"From this day forward, you shall be known as Daisyfern. And Snowpaw," he finished, turning to the smallest of the three. "From this day forward, you shall be known as Snowripple."

"GOLDNOSE! DAISYFERN! SNOWRIPPLE!" the clan cried with excitement. Flameclaw and Barkfern surely shouted the loudest, proud of their three kits. Flameclaw felt a pang of heartache, however, knowing that her kits no longer really needed her or Barkfern. They would be on their own patrols now and own hunts, and she suspected they may have mates in the future.

Once the shouting had died down and the crowd had dispersed, Flameclaw and Barkfern approached their kits just as they had finished their conversations with Cloudpaw, Ripplepaw, and Hazelpaw.

"Did you see how great I looked up there?" Daisyfern immediately asked. 

Flameclaw chuckled. "Yes. You looked very happy."

"I can't wait to start doing warrior duties!" Snowripple exclaimed.

"And no more gathering moss!" Goldnose exclaimed.

"You'll be in the same den as us now," Flameclaw pointed out. "Though I suppose you won't be curling up next to me anymore."

They all laughed and continued to talk about the excitement. It was growing late, however, and Flameclaw knew her kits would be staying up for vigil.

"We're very proud of you," Barkfern told them. "Just be sure not to fall asleep during the vigil."

"I'll just poke them awake if they do," Goldnose promised.

Daisyfern laughed. "Who says I'll fall asleep? Odds are I'm going to have to wake you up!"

The two poked at each other and laughed, reminding Flameclaw of when they were kits.

They may be warriors now, she thought, but they sure do act like kits still.

"Congratulations," she mewed warmly. "You've all worked very hard to deserve this title."

The three smiled, and after a quick good-bye, Flameclaw padded away with Barkfern, ignoring the tears gathering in her eyes.

"You okay?" he asked.

Flameclaw smiled. "Just proud, that's all."

Barkfern smiled and licked her cheek. Flameclaw let out a purr and intertwined her tail with his as they entered the warriors' den.