Chapter 28

Flameclaw opened her eyes, revealing the walls of the SnowClan nursery. She let out a large yawn and slowly stretched, her swollen stomach brushing against her nest. She had been in SnowClan several sunrises now and knew her kits would be due anyday.

She had been having nearly daily check-ups with Spottedmask now, and the medicine cat had advised her that it was best if she didn't stray too far from the nursery as her kits might be due at any moment. In the meantime, Flameclaw had also been eating countless herbs to help her milk come.

The other queens seemed excited that Flameclaw's kits were to be born soon, while Applewhisker's three kits seemed filled with joy. They longed for some playmates in the nursery it seemed.

Flameclaw had found herself growing somewhat closer to the other SnowClan queens, though she still didn't feel fully involved in the clan. Barkfern would come and visit her often, telling her of how great patrols were and telling stories about magnificent prey and boundary intruders.

Flameclaw enjoyed hearing his stories, but they made her long to be a warrior. She was a bit upset that she had finally received her warrior name, only to be confined to the nursery. But she did want her kits, and she knew that she would move to the warriors' den once her kits were born.

The other queens were already stirring, and Applewhisker's kits seemed to be chatting away at their mother. The calico queen snapped at them and told them not to disturb the others, at last taking them outside.

Flameclaw smiled and laughed slightly, anticipating the day she would be doing the same. Moonstream was called into the medicine cat den by Tawnypaw for an inspection while Wavestorm left to go get some prey.

Soon, Dovewing had risen, and she turned, smiling at Flameclaw.

"Maybe today will be the day," she purred, implying Flameclaw's kits would be born soon.
"Perhaps," Flameclaw replied, desperate to get the kits out of her.

"It will be exciting having kits," Dovewing told her.

"Have you had any litters before?" Flameclaw wondered.

Dovewing shook her head and blushed, seeming a bit embarrassed.

"No, this is my first litter. I know I'm not the youngest she-cat here, but I'm sure I'll be a good mother just the same," the ginger she-cat mewed.

"I'm sure you will," Flameclaw replied. Out of all the queens in the nursery, she found she was the closet to Dovewing, despite their age difference. Dovewing was talkative and kind though, and she always made Flameclaw feel welcome. She had even spilled dirt about some of the cats-even Wavestorm.

Unfortunately, Flameclaw and Dovewing's conversation was interrupted by Tawnypaw's presence. Moonstream stepped back inside the nursery while Tawnypaw's gaze fell on Flameclaw.

"If you could follow me to the medicine cat den," she said.

Flameclaw nodded and stood, waving good-bye to Dovewing. She then followed the calico apprentice into the medicine cat den where Spottedmask was busy arranging herbs. Upon Flameclaw's entrance, the she-cat glanced up and smiled.

"Flameclaw, good to see you," she said.

"Hello."

Spottedmask approached her and inspected her some, biting her lip.

"Everything okay?" Flameclaw asked.

"Oh, yes. Your kits should be due at anytime. Perhaps it's best I bring you your herbs to the nursery now."